Since the ancient times, pastry products have been among the most popular desserts of the people. In early centuries these desserts were made only for important celebrations, and the woman who made it was a perfect wife and hostess. In our days, it is usually easy for people to buy this dessert in a store. However, cooking pastry yourself gives you a feeling of satisfaction, pride, and closer connections to those who eat it. My recipe comes from deep within my family. I was taught by my grandma how to cook this pie, who was in turn taught by her grandma, and so on. The recipe of this pie is common in Europe. Sometimes you can find it with the name "Sharlotcka". But all of these recipes are needless complicated for me. If you can do something in an easier fashion without losing much quality it is much better to do that instead.
Almost everyone has likely had a situation in their life where they got a phone call saying their friends were about to come over. And they had nothing to serve those friends. Imagine this is you. You are panicking: how do you prepare something in so little time that would still be delicious. Well, don’t Panic! Calm down, take a deep breath and… go to the kitchen. Follow this recipe and surprise your friends!
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
- Eggs - 3
- Sugar – 250ml or 1Cup (if you don’t like it too sweet put a little bit less)
- Flour - 1 cup
- Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon(tsp.)
- Distilled White Vinegar - 1 tablespoon(Tbsp.) (recommended)
- Shredded Coconut – 1 Tbsp. (optional)
- Poppy Seed -1 Tbsp. (optional)
- Apple - 3 (If you don't have apples you can use other fruits instead. Or you can also mix them together as well.)
- Cooking Spray
- Medium size bowl
- teaspoon and tablespoon
- Baking pan
- Foil (optional)
Step 2: Put All Together!
The main part of this step is following the instructions exactly!
Take a bowl and put all ingredients together in the following order:
- 1. Crack 3 eggs inside bowl.
- 2. Add 1 cup of sugar.
- 3. Add 1 cup of flour.
- 4. If you have vinegar (I recommend using it), take a cup and add into the cup first, ½ tsp of baking soda and then 1 Tbsp. of vinegar. Mix them for 1-2sec. with a tablespoon and immediately add this mix into the bowl.
- 5. If you don't want use vinegar just add ½ tsp. of baking soda to the bowl.
- 6. If you have shredded coconut and a poppy seed add 1 tbsp. of them to the bowl.
Step 3: Mix It!
Take mixer and mix all ingredients at high speed for 1-2 min. You have a raw pastry!
Note. The best mixer tools are like the ones in the picture, but if you have something different use yours. You can even use a tablespoon for mixing, but this will take much longer (you need the same result as in the picture).
Step 4: Slice Apples!
- Take 3 apples.
- Wash them.
- Cut them in a half and remove the core.
- Slice them into a bowl.
If you don't have apples, slice other fruits or berries equal to the volume of 3 apples(for example, 2 bananas or 10 strawberries or 4 round pieces of pineapple or 3 pears (remove the core) or 3 peaches(remove the pit)).
In future you can also try to add something else in additional to the pie(but not too many like 1 banana or 4 strawberries or 1 round piece of pineapple or 1/2 pear(remove the core) or 1 peach(remove the pit)).
Remember! All fruits and berries should be washed and sliced!
Note: I recommend not to add more ingredients except apples at first time cooking.
Step 5: Mix It Again!
Don’t use the mixer. Use a tablespoon. Gently mix fruits with the pastry.
Step 6: Bake It!
- Take a baking pan.
- For best results cover it with foil.
- Spray foil with cooking spray. If you don’t have foil just spray the baking pan.
- Move the content from the bowl into the baking pan.
- Set the oven temperature to 375F.
- Put the baking pan inside the middle rack of the oven immediately.
- Set the timer to 40 min.
- You can go do something else while it is baking.
Step 7: Serve It!
While the pie is still in the oven, you can set the table. Prepare cups, saucers (if you have them) or plates, teaspoons, and napkins. You can also slice a lemon or an orange on a saucer and place it on the table too. I highly recommend serving this pie with tea, especially fruit tea. If you want to, you can also add something alcoholic like whiskey, rum or cognac (one tablespoon will be enough) to the cups for additional tasting (avoid doing it for children!). Now just wait for your friends. When they arrive you can simply take the pie out of the over and you will be set!