This is 12 step tutorial how to create from scratch the swords from Sword Art Online
Step 1: Find a Template
Find a image of the sword on the internet that will serve as your template.
I try to find a larger image that has a high definition.
Step 2: Enlarge the Template
Use an image editing software to enlarge the image to the desired height while keeping the same height/width proportion.
I used Paint.NET
Step 3: Print the Template
Use Microsoft Paint to print the sword template.
You will need 3 copies for each sword.
Note: You will need adjust the page settings in order to print at this scale.
- Select the Print > Page Settings menu option.
- Select the Adjust To option.
- Click the OK button.
Step 4: Assemble the Template
Assemble of the pages together using regular tape.
You will need to do this for each printed copy.
Step 5: Cut the Template
For the first printed copy:
Cut the shape of the sword that will used as the bottom piece.
For the second printed copy:
Cut the shape of the sword that will used as the top piece.
Step 6: Trace the Sword Pieces
- Place the template for the bottom and top layer pieces on a sheet of plywood.
- Trace the outline of each piece with a pencil. I sometimes use scotch tape on bigger pieces to prevent the template from moving when tracing.
- Remove the templates.
Straighten the lines using a pencil and a ruler.
Step 7: Cut the Sword Pieces
- Place the sheet of plywood on 2 saw horses.
- Clamp each end of the sheet to prevent it from moving while cutting.
- Use a jigsaw to cut each wooden piece.
Step 8: Fix the Cutting Imperfections (Optional)
- Apply a small layer of Dry Dex on each piece of wood to cover the all cutting imperfections.
- Wait until the Dry Dex is dry and gently sand the wood until smooth.
- Repeat until all cutting imperfections are gone.
Step 9: Assemble Kirito Sword
- Use a small nail to hold the top and bottom pieces together.
- Apply a small layer of Dry Dex to cover the nail.
Step 10: Assemble Asuna Sword
- Glue an old roll of paint tape on the wooden piece to make the circular shape.
- Cover the paint tape with papier mâche.
- Cut two half moon pieces of card board.
- Glue each half moon piece on the side of the roll of paint tape.
Step 11: Paint the Sword
- Apply 2 layers of acrylic paint on each sword.
Step 12: Decorate the Sword
- Use craft paint and other craft material such as stickers to decorate each sword.