In this instructable, you will learn how to make an MP3 CD with iTunes.
But, why would you want to make an MP3 CD? We'll the fact is normal CDs can only store/play up to 80 minutes of music. MP3 CDs can play music for as long as you like so you can fill up the memory on your MP3 CD. Plus most CD players and car CD players support MP3 CDs. So no more talking and lets roll!
The Requirements for this instructable are:
- iTunes for Windows or Mac (download and install it here)
- A CD drive/burner
- Blank CD-Rs or CD-RWs
- MP3 files (songs in MP3 format)
- Time Varies
- From a few minutes to a few hours creating your ultimate playlist
- A few minutes to adjust the settings
Step 1: Insert a Blank CD
There are two types of blank CDs you can use for burning an MP3 CD. You can use one.
- CD-Rs (CD-recordable). With CD-Rs you can burn a file onto a CD, but you cannot erase it. CD-Rs come in 650MB, 700MB, and 800MB capacities.
- CD-RWs (CD-rewritable) are like huge-capacity floppy disks. They allow users to add and delete files over and over. Be aware that CD-RWs are less reliable than CD-Rs and may not be compatible with the CD drive you are using.
Step 2: Create a Playlist
Step 3: Add Songs to Your Playlist
Step 4: Edit the Song Title and Information (optional)
Note: Some CD players show the name of the song title, artist and other information if it has a text screen.
Step 5: Sort Your Playlist
Step 6: Burn Your MP3 CD
Open your playlist. Click the 'Burn Disc' button in the bottom right corner of iTunes. A window will popup showing three options. Choose MP3 CD and click 'Burn'.
Warning: Beware of overburning. Overburning is writing beyond the manufacturer's declared capacity on a CD-R or CD-RW disc. It is better practice to underburn by 20MB or so. For example, if your CD has a capacity of 750MB, then you would burn 730MB of 750MB of your CD.
Step 7: Wait for Your MP3 CD to Burn
If the playlist fits, iTunes will automatically start burning the CD. For the best results, do not use your computer for other task while the MP3 CD is burning. When the burning finishes, you can insert your MP3 CD into your computer, CD player etc. And listen to hours of music!