In my Instructables I will only be showing you the "form" of a back squat therefore, I will not be using any weight. If you are struggling with your back squat technique or if you are trying a back squat for the first time I suggest you start off using no weight. If you have a broomstick or a plastic pole around the house that would be the perfect for practicing your back squat.
Once you have practiced and mastered the technique for a back squat, you can start to add weight. Bt, be sure to always wear a weight belt and to have a spotter behind you to prevent injuries.
To do a proper back squat you only need one thing:
- a wooden pole (a plastic pole, or a broomstick can work as well)
Step 1: Feet Position
- If you are right footed, place your right foot slightly in front of your left foot ( See Picture #2 for correct stance)
- If you are left footed, place your left foot slightly in front of your right foot. (See Picture #3 for correct stance)
- Do not stand with your feet pointing out, a.k.a "duck-footed." (See Picture #3 for incorrect stance)
Step 2: Bar Placement
Place the broomstick on the top of your shoulder blades.
- To prevent injury, do not place the stick on the top of your spine. (See Picture #2 for incorrect form)
In this same step, place your hands next to your shoulders.
- Wrap your numbs around the stick, but do no put any pressure on your back. You do not want to be forcing the stick down onto your back.
Step 3: Ready Position
Slightly bend your knees.
This will simultaneously put your rear down. Before you lower down into your back squat your body should look exactly like this step