Introducing the Real Simple "Fake It, Don't Make It" Holiday Recipe Contest
Grandmother may have time to slave over the stove making figgy pudding from scratch, but you sure don't. Why bother measuring out flour, baking powder, and sugar when you can pick up a box of carrot cake mix at the supermarket that works just as well in the recipe? Here's your chance to show off your shortcuts. Submit your original recipe for any holiday-related dish to Real Simple and the recipe could be published in Real Simple 's December issue. Plus, you could win one of 20 prizes. The recipe must use some premade, store-bought ingredients and go from package to plate in minimal time, leaving you free for sleigh riding over the river and through the woods.
Check out these Instructables for quick and easy versions of Strawberry Shortcake, Lasagna, Doughnuts, and Crab Cakes. You can also find additional "Fake It, Don't Make It" recipes at RealSimple.com.
The official contest rules are the last word so please be sure to read them. Here's a summary of the basics to help you get started.
What is the Real Simple "Fake It, Don't Make It" Holiday Recipe Contest?
The Real Simple "Fake It, Don't Make It" Holiday Recipe Contest is your chance to share your most delicious holiday recipe shortcuts. Share your 6-ingredient-or-less recipe, dazzle the judges and you could win great prizes. You may even see your recipe printed in the magazine's December issue.
How do I enter the Real Simple "Fake It, Don't Make It" Holiday Recipe Contest?
Simply upload one or more of your best Holiday "fake it, don't make it" recipes at Instructables.com; Instructables may require registration. Add your recipes to the Real Simple group. Be sure to clearly explain the process, from preparation to presentation. Use text, photographs, and videos to make sure that other people will be able to replicate your recipe. If you already have a "Fake It, Don't Make It" Holiday Recipe on Instructables.com, simply add it to the Real Simple group.
How does the contest work?
- August 15: The Real Simple "Fake It, Don't Make It" Holiday Recipe Contest starts accepting recipes. The contest will begin at 12:01 a.m. EST 8/15/07.
- Sept 9: Last day to submit your recipe. The contest will close at 11:59 p.m. EST on 9/9/07.
- Sept 10-24: Judges meet to score and review all contest entries. Top recipes are tested by Real Simple 's Food Editors.
- Sept 28: Winners are notified.
- Nov 1: Winner is announced on Instructables.com and RealSimple.com
The judges are looking for high quality instructions that are 1) creative, 2) delicious, and 3) visually appealing. Your Instructable should be clear, easy to follow, and feature at least two inventive shortcuts for making a version of a known dish. Be sure your Instructable includes a list of ingredients with exact amounts; clear, concise steps; complete photos and text for all important steps including video where possible; and clear photographs (2+ megapixels preferred).
What could I win?
- The winning recipe will be published in the December issue of Real Simple . Plus, the grand-prize winner will receive a $100 Crate & Barrel Gift Card, a monogrammed Real Simple apron, an Instructables T-shirt, and a year's subscription to Real Simple magazine.
- Four first-prize winners will receive a $50 Crate & Barrel Gift Card, a monogrammed Real Simple apron, an Instructables T-shirt, and a year's subscription to Real Simple magazine.
- Fifteen second-prize winners will receive a monogrammed Real Simple apron, a year's subscription to Real Simple magazine, an Instructables t-shirt, and Instructables stickers.
What's in it for me if I am not a contestant?
Not feeling particularly creative in the kitchen? Read the recipes shared by others in theReal Simple "Fake It, Don't Make It" Holiday Recipe Contest and learn ways to delight your family and friends at your next holiday dinner. Be sure to share your comments on the Instructables post and let the creative cooks know if their dishes are crowd pleasers.
How to create a great Instructable
How to add an Instructable to a group
How to embed video into Instructables
Explore popular Instructables
Take a tour of Instructables
page 1 of 2