If your robot is recalcitrant, use the extra days to navigate a fix or try another strategy. If your robot is fabulous, post it and use the extra days to create a second entry!
The iRobot Create Challenge is a robot building contest that will challenge your ability, your creativity, and your mastery of technology. Use the iRobot Create Programmable Robot platform to develop your own unprecedented and innovative robot that's functional, helpful, entertaining, whimsical or simply amazing.
You Could Finally Earn Your Rightful Title as Creator Extraordinaire and win a $5,000 Cash Prize!
Stop toying with robots and show the world what you can create!
The iRobot Create Challenge will have the following prizes:
- One (1) First Place Prize of $5,000.
- One (1) Second Place Prize of a set of iRobot home robots including iRobot Roomba Discovery, iRobot Scooba 380, iRobot Dirt Dog, & iRobot Create robots. This prize has an estimated retail value of $986.99.
- Ten (10) Third Place Prizes of the winner's choice of one iRobot Roomba Discovery or one iRobot Scooba 5800. Each prize has an estimated retail value of $299.
Update: check out PopSci's first lesson of their iRobot iNstitute.
HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST.
Beginning on May 15, 2007 you may submit your robot creation to the iRobot group on Instructables. (You do this by selecting "New Instructable" from the "Contribute" menu above. When you're done with your Instructable, the system will prompt you to add it to groups.)
All robots must be built with the iRobot Create robot. Each entry must include a summary introduction, clear photographs, text describing the robot and how it works, and some instructional content about the creation of the robot.
For those who wish to enter the main contest, but who do not have the ability to purchase an iRobot Create kit themselves, iRobot Corporation will provide 15 free iRobot Create robots with Command Modules (Scholarship Robot packages). To receive a Scholarship Robot package, you must submit an idea of how you would use the iRobot Create to forums in the iRobot group. Please be realistic, as Scholarship winners must either build a robot and enter the contest or return their scholarship robot package. Which is to say, if you win, you have to build it, or no robot for you. All submissions for this Scholarship sub-contest must be posted by June 30, 2007. No later than July 9th, 2007, scholarship winners will be notified by email.
All entries to the iRobot Create Challenge must be submitted by 11:59pm Sunday, September 9th, 2007.
All contest entries will be judged for merit. Judging will begin after the entry deadline. Judging criteria for each entry will include the following:
*task complexity: how hard is this task for a robot to do?
*aesthetics: A measure of how good the component packaging and look of the robot is.
*intelligence: A measure of how artificially intelligent the robot appears.
*task utility: how useful is this robot
*entertainment value: How cool or entertaining is the robot
*completeness (photos and text for all important steps)
*clear, concise text description including a properly summarized introduction with the motivation for doing the project
*clear photographs (2+ megapixel preferred), use macro mode for close up shots
*use of photo-notes where appropriate
*list of parts and tools required (if appropriate)
*safety notes (if appropriate)
Winners of the iRobot Create Challenge will be announced on or before October 19th , 2007.
The names of the Contest winners will be posted at Instructables.com. Selection of winners is solely within the discretion of judges.
Each winner will be notified via the e-mail address provided to Instructables with their entry. Winners may be required to sign an affidavit certifying their eligibility and compliance with these Rules.
HOW TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE:
Winners must meet all eligibility requirements set forth in these Rules to qualify for the prize. Upon completion and return of any required forms, A physical address will then be provided by the winner. The Prize will be sent to winners via the U.S. Postal Service. Prizes will be sent to winners by November 15, 2007.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO WIN?
The iRobot Create Challenge (the "Contest") is offered by TG Publishing, Inc. ("TGP"), and open only to residents of the U.S. and Canada, and 18 years or older at time of participation to win.
1. All federal, state, and local taxes on prize are the sole responsibility of the winner.
2. Prize is not transferable and no cash alternative or prize substitution is available, except that iRobot reserves the right to substitute cash or a similar prize of equal or greater value if the prize listed is unavailable for any reason. Cash prizes will be paid as a lump sum check. All potential winners are subject to verification in iRobot's sole discretion. All prizes are expressed in U.S. Dollars. By accepting prize, Contest winners agree that their name and likeness may be used for advertising and promotional purposes at iRobot or TGP's discretion in any and all media now known or hereinafter developed without territorial or time limitations. Winner agrees that prizes are being provided "as is", and iRobot and TGP make no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the prize, including but not limited to its quality, condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
3. TGP is not responsible for any computer malfunction, hacking, destruction, unavailability, or damage to the contest website or contestant's computer or robot as a result of his or her participation herein.
4. TGP reserves the right to cancel, postpone or end the contest at any time, at its sole discretion, or to disqualify any participant or winner that TGP, at its sole discretion, deems to have cheated, destroyed, obstructed, or otherwise acted illegally or in bad faith in relation to this contest.
5. TGP reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of the User Agreement of the Website; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; to be acting in a unethical or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, as determined by TGP at its sole discretion.By submitting an entry, and entering this contest, you hereby grant iRobot Corporation a perpetual, irrevocable, sublicense, worldwide, royalty free right to publish and distribute your entry with the promotion of iRobot Create robots. Further, none of the entry material will be treated as confidential, so please do not include or submit proprietary information
6. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the official rules, or the rights of entrants, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the substance laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, without regard to conflicts of law principles.