Introduction: How to Export Media From IPad to External Hard Drive
This set of instructions will guide you on how to export any photos and videos you have onto your Windows PC from an iPad.
Step 1: Connect the LACIE External Hard Drive to Your Computer.
- Set up the LACIE according to the instructions in the box.
- Download iTunes (can be downloaded from this link).
Step 2: Connect the IPad to Your Computer Using a Lightning USB (same As Charging Cable).
iTunes should open up to the following page:
Step 3: Uncheck the Highlighted Item.
(Note: You need iTunes for your PC to recognize the iPad and its content, but file transferring will not be done in iTunes.)
Step 4: Allow Permission From IPad When Prompted.
- After allowing permission for the iPad to connect to the computer, disconnect the iPad from the computer.
- Connect the iPad again.
Step 5: The Following Window Should Appear. Select 'Import Pictures and Photos'
Step 6: The Following Window Will Appear. Click on 'Import Settings'
Step 7: The Following Window Will Appear.
Step 8: To Choose Where PHOTOS Are Saved, Click Browse.
- The side window will appear.
- Go to Computer > LACIE SHARE.
- The first time you do this, make a new folder on the LACIE hard drive by clicking on ‘Make New Folder’. You can name the new folder “Project Files” or something similar.
- Make sure that it shows your new folder as your selected destination near “Folder:”.
- Click “Okay”.
Step 9: To Choose Where VIDEOS Are Saved, You’ll Follow a Similar Process.
No need to create a new folder again.
Step 10: Next You Will Choose How the Computer Will Name the Folder Where It Exports the Files.
Click on the drop-down menu and select ‘Tag’.
Step 11: You’ll Also Choose How the Computer Will Name the Files Within the Folder. It Should Be Set to “Tag” by Default.
Step 12: Make Sure the “Other Options” Look Like the Ones in the Photo.
Then click “OK” to save the settings and close the window.
Step 13: The Following Window Will Appear After All the New Photos Have Been Recognized. Name the File Using the Following Format: YourInitials- Name of Video. (For Example: SD- How to Peel an Apple). Click “Import”.
Step 14: The Following Window May Pop Up. Click 'Okay'.
Step 15: Windows Will Finish Importing the Files. You Can Now Access the Folder With the Files by Going to Computer > LACIE > Project Files
- Then copy the files into the Syncplicity file using the link you were given.
- Once all the contents have transferred, you can disconnect the iPad and LACIE hard drive from your computer.