Introduction: How to Install Apps Onto Your SD Card (No Root)
note - this works on both Windows and Mac OS
- Android Phone (duh)
- a micro usb cable
- a computer
This method of moving your apps to sd card is known for not working with the Galaxy series, you if own a galaxy/ are getting a galaxy and is thinking of moving your apps to an external storage, i recommend rooting your device, enabling further access to files and such. Here's a link to guide you to rooting your galaxy, http://www.androidcentral.com/root. Good Luck!
Step 1: Getting Ready to Change Installation Location
1. Get the Google Android SDK
- Unzip the file and place the folder onto your desktop or anywhere that can be easily accessed.
- find the platform tools folder (default, it should be : adt-bundle/sdk)
2. Find cmd/terminal (for mac)
- (for mac users) go to [System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Services]
and then check the box [New Terminal At Folder]
3. Go onto your Android phone and select USB debugging
- Go to [System settings > Developer Options] and select USB Debugging (if the option is grayed out, unplug your phone first)
Step 2: Using Adb
- Open the folder called " platform-tools"
- shift+right-click anywhere inside the folder and choose [Open Command Window Here]
- right-click the folder called "platform-tools" and choose [New Terminal At Folder]
2. Enter in the following
For Windows :
adb shell pm set-install-location 2
adb shell pm get-install-location
For Mac : (note - there is a period before the slashes)
./adb shell pm set-install-location 2
./adb shell pm get-install-location
3. Check if you did it right
- if you did it right, the last output should say: 2 [external]
If you did it right, CONGRATS! Your phone will now install your apps to your SD Card by default! Have fun now!
Step 3: More Info
Some apps will not continue to function properly if located on your SD Card.
[System Settings > Applications > Manage Applications] and select the app your want to move and press move.
The "Move to Usb Storage" option was only available on older android firmwares, sorry for the confusion.
8 People Made This Project!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.