With a vague idea of what Daniel Burd had done with his aerobic experiment I decided to design a similar experiment. In just a small sample of soil there are literally millions of bacteria, most are unable to be cultured in a lab. These bacteria and their relationships are so complicated that we may never be capable of understanding the exact ecology of a population of microbes in a spoonful of soil. With this general idea in mind it made sense to me that if put into an extreme environment, the microbes would adapt in order to survive. The nice thing with microbes is their ability to adapt quickly, turning on and off a variety of metabolic pathways to best utilize the resources available to them. That is exactly why microbes can be found almost everywhere on the planet. So my idea was to put soil microbes in an environment full of all the tasty elements they use to grow. I used Bushnell Hass Broth which is composed of Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Chloride, Monopotassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Ammonium Nitrate, and Ferric Chloride. Or if you can see it better in terms of elements (Mg, S, O, Ca, Cl, K, N, H, Fe). You will notice that there is one KEY element missing from this solution, Carbon. Well lucky for us plastic is made up of Carbon (and Hydrogen) in long chains. Since Carbon is absolutely essential for microbes to grow (and all known life really) I was hoping that with all the other necessary ingredients available to them the microbes would use the Carbon found on the plastic to grow and luckily I was correct. So I will show you in just a few really simple steps how you can find plastic degrading bacteria from soil (I used landfill soil but I believe any soil would work).
Currently I am working on becoming a teacher and it is my personal belief that publishing this research for profit would really defeat the purpose.This would take away access to most people (who would have to fork over some serious cash just to look at it), especially when this could make a real, noticeable difference for a real environmental problem we face today. So I invite you to perform this experiment on your own, see what kind of results you get and collaborate our results. Please leave feedback for me in the comments, because this is my first instructable and I would like to make it the best it could possibly be. Thanks :)