Introduction: How to Make Bicycle Mobile Phone Charger
This time i am here with a simple but useful bicycle mobile charger .
You charge any of your cell phone while cycling and all this you can easily make at home.
It's not so expensive but don't i think the whole setup will cost you around 20 - 30 dollars.
If you are not familiar with electronics you can give the circuit i gave to a electrician and some mechanics part to your local workshop it's a matter of minutes for them. But as far as i think
This is a simple electronics and mechanics project .It uses a AC motor to produce ac current and then the power is supplied to the power HUB and then it's converted to 5 volts DC .
Step 1: Parts!
You don't need much stuff some of them are common things you can get them anywhere!
All you need is:
- An AC motor or DC one (But i prefer to use an AC motor of a normal small size because in comparison to an AC motor and DC motor should be bigger! you can get them form an old printer or an DVD burner's slide motor which i am using ! the other one specifically the big one in the given picture above could also be used both of them are AC motors! Use a big one if you are willing to use a DC motor )
- Some long wires.
- LM 7805 LINEAR REGULATOR.
- Soldering equipments.
- One 1000uf capacitor , one 10uf capacitor , one ceramic capacitor of 0.001uf , 102.
- One 100ohms resistor.
- IN 4007 DIODES 4PCS
- One connecter jack as per your mobile's input.
Step 2: Making!
Once you've got the stuff it's time to build this.
Now , in my view the most difficult task you are going to do is to fix the main motor on the bike so that it moves as the bike moves.
If you don't want to fix the motor yourself just grab your bike and move to a bike repairing work shop and i am sure they can easily fix the motor easily if you are going to do your self the best way to do it is by welding the motor on the bike and grab a sand paper and sand till it becomes smooth and paint the weld joints to make your bike and motor look alike. the other way is to grab some metal strips and nut & bolts so somehow you can tight it well i can't tell briefly because it depends on your bike's model ( The one I've used is good bike i mean it's powerful and heavy unlike small and trendy cycles i also had one or two of them but they are not powerful enough in comparison to this one. )and different ways can be used to fix it. That's all i can say about fixing the motor.....! Now wen you are done with fixing the motor it time to wire if you are using an AC motor just make sure it's working and it it has too many terminals or wires coming out of it hold the motor and choose any two terminals and lick those two wires and rotate the motor's shaft slowly until you feel the current this is one of the fastest method of testing and it's not dangerous until you rotate the motor's shaft very fast ( now don't get confuse which one just pick any two and continue it until you get positive results that is until you feel the current ). Now you've got the terminals just connect two long wires with it so that the power hub doesn't need to be kept too close to the motor now here comes the electronics part. Now you have to build a simple circuit circuit and put it in a case . The circuit is given in the Image above . If you are unfamiliar with electronics contact any electrician and show him this circuit he can easily make this . Now when you've made the circuit put it in a casing and grab the mobile charger jack of your mobile phone perhaps you can get it from you old mobile charger or at radishack. Now connect the power output from the motor to the power HUB input and no matter the power output is AC or DC . Connect the 5V output to the phone's input jack and place the power HUB anywhere you want or perhaps under the seat . Here you Go connect the charger's output to you cell phone and start peddling down you bike and your mobile will start showing charging!
Step 3: Finishing & Tips
Now you are all done the part which is left is Lubrication it's pretty easy and you can paint it as you wish.
Some of author tips
- Now once you've finished you may need to peddle hard if you have a small motor or a DC motor.
- And if you have a big motor it's good if you will use too small motor it get soon get hot but not until a 2- 3 hours ride .
- You can use universal power jack if you want more types of mobiles to charge.
- Now you can only charge one cell phone at a time by this charger.
- Its better to use a heat-sink for the LM7805 power transistor so that it does not get how but if you allow a regular air flow in you Power HUB it will not get hot.
- Now this system last for ever by proper lubrication and max usage up-to 3-4 hours if you use a medium size motor not a small one and a regular airflow in the power hub or usage of a heat sink i prefer a regular airflow with the heat sink is the best.