Making your own bio diesel is the cheapest source of fuel after a year.
for every gallon of bio diesel you burn only 2 lbs of co2 gets released into the air rather than 20 lbs of co2 with gasoline.
Step 1: Items You Will Need:
Items you will need:
-200 ml of methanol
-1 liter of used cooking oil
-One 20 ml beaker
-Two 500 ml beakers
-Three 1500 ml beakers
- 1 ml graduated eyedropper
-Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
-1 liter of distilled water
Step 2: Filter the Bio Diesel
this will take a while so i advise using a bunch of small cups.
The little colorful plastic ones that Ikea sell are perfect...
Step 3: Measure the Reactants
3) Measure one liter of distilled water into a 1500 ml beaker
4) Pour the lye into the water
5) label the beaker lye + water DO NOT DRINK
6) Measure 10 ml of rubbing alcohol into the 20 ml beaker
7) Measure 1 ml of UFO into the rubbing alcohol
8) Label beaker oil alcohol
9) drop 1 ml of lye + water into the oil alcohol
10) Check the ph on the litmus paper
11) Repeat steps 8 and 9 until you have a ph of 8-9
12) Add the amount of times you dropped the lye/water into the oil/alcohol with 3.5 (y= x+3.5) This will be the amount of lye you use
Step 4: Blend
14) Blend for 30-60 seconds
16) Carefully open the blender and pour 1 liter of UFO in
17) Put the top back on the blender and blend for 15 minuets
Step 5: Seperation
Step 6: Separate and Clean Up
20) Clean up your mess, this is very important. Store the leftover lye, UFO and methanol in the cool dry place. Dry the glycerin and turn into soap, clean all gear. Do not use the blender or food again
Step 7: Use
if you want to make more than just a liter of bio diesel...
you can make a bio diesel processor for as little as 50$
than scale up the recipe