Step 1: What you will need:
- clay -any kind* or colour (I used La Doll Premier Lightweight Stone Clay)
- clay rolling and cutting tools and a mat to work on
- stamp, stencils or anything else you want to make an impression (Sculptey has texture making sheets and wheels)
- cling wrap (to protect mat)
- bottle the size and shape you want for your lantern
*check that the clay is not flammable (Crayola air-dry clay is and it warns against using it for making candle holders)
Step 2: Roll out the clay
- Take a hunk of clay and roll it out to about 0.5cm(1/4 in) thickness.
- Cut the top and bottom edges in a straight line with the desired height (in my case I made it about 9cm(3.5in)).
- Check that it is long enough by loosely wrapping it around the bottle and trim the edge.
Step 3: Make an impression
Step 4: Poke holes
Step 5: Make a cup
- Loosely wrap the clay around the bottle and connect the two ends together. With the clay I used I just wet the clay and blended the edges together.
- To make the bottom, roll out some more clay to about the same thickness as the sides. Place the cylinder piece on top and trim around the edges.
- Connect the bottom piece by blending the edges of clay together.
- Allow to dry