This instructable takes you step-by-step and shows you how to make a decorative barrette. This crafting process takes approximately 20-30 minutes to create one decorative hair barrette. One does not need any crafting experience if instructions are followed closely.
Note : This project does involve the use of a hot glue gun.
Hair Barrettes are a fun and easy way to dress up hair. Hand crafted barrettes are an affordable personal gift for many occasions. Though barrettes take time, they are a long-lasting easy craft to make when done correctly.
Step 1: Materials
Materials: totaling $20-25 (after buying the materials for the first barrette the cost of making the proceeding barrettes decreases significantly)
• Feathers- $3 bag of features (use only a few feathers) there are more expensive feathers that are more durable and attractive.
• Fake Flowers- $3 strands of fake flowers that can be plucked off their plastic vines.
• Beads- $3-6, depending on how many you use for one barrette.
• Bottlecaps- Free if found.
• Barrette- $3 for about 20, 2 inch barrettes.
• Glue Sticks- $2 for about 20 (you will use about half a stick per barrette)
• Hot Glue Gun- $5 for a small glue gun.
• Scissors- $3 for basic scissors
• Hard Felt- approx. $.30 for a 16x24
Note : There are no particular brands of products that need to be used. It should be noted that some hot glue guns require a particular size of glue sticks and should be bought accordingly.
Step 2: Cut the Felt
Tip : Place newspaper under the hot glue gun.
Caution : While the hot glue gun is heating up, make sure that it is not resting on anything that you would not want glue on, as it can ruin tables, rugs, etc.
1. Place a 3.5'' inch cup or glass on the felt and trace the outline with a pen to create a perfect circle.
2. Cut a 3.5'' inch circle out of the felt material.