Egg Rolls is one of most Vietnamese food that really popular with everyone. It is so easy to make and eat, everyone can try it at home. The fried version with minced pork is called chả giò (southern Vietnam), nem, or Nem rán (northern Vietnam), it has been referred to as a spring roll on some restaurant menus. A Vietnamese egg rolls is contains ground or chopped meats/seafood such as pork, crab, shrimp, chicken, taro or cassava, fried fungi or oyster mushrooms and shredded carrots. In these ingredients, if you are unlike any kind of them, then you don't have to put it in the recipe, the taste is still delicious. In such as these hot hummer day, family can try to make egg rolls at home, then everyone can gathering around and enjoy this kind of delicious Asian food.
Step 1: Things You Will Need
- Eggrolls wraps
- 2 carrots
- 2 lbs of minced meat (pork or beef is fine)
- 2 eggs (separate yolk and white)
- About 10 pieces of dried black fungus
- 1 lbs taro (optional)
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
**You can find these ingredients at any Asian store
- Large bowl
- Deep fryer/pan
Step 2: Preparation
Place all the ingredients on a clean table. Shred all the carrots, fungus, and taro, you can minced them into small pieces if you want to.
Step 3: Mix All the Ingredients Together
Put all the ingredients above into large bowl. Wear a plastic glove and mix all of them together. Remember to put only the yolk, the egg-white is using to roll the egg rolls part.
Step 4: "Roll" Egg Rolls
1. Lay the egg roll wrapper out like a diamond. The corner furthest from you will be corner 1, corner 2 is to the left and corner 3 is to the right, the corner closest to you will be corner 4. (Fig.1)
2. Put about 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture in the bottom of corner 4, using your finger or small brush to spread some of the egg-white along the edges. Fold corner 4 toward corner 1, once you fold use some rolling back and ford to firm up the mixture. Then fold over corner 2 and corner 3. (Fig.2)
3. Then roll it toward corner 1 until the edges. Use a little egg-white if needed. (Fig.3)
4. Keep doing it until you run out of the mixture. (Fig.4)
Step 5: Fried the Egg Rolls
Turn on your deep fryer/pan, put about 1/2 inches oil in it. Then wait for it to heat up, use something such as a chopstick to check, if it bubbles then it's ready to fried. Try to flip it a few times, so it will not stick into the pan. Cook until it turn to golden or brown. When all your egg rolls are fully cooked, then it is ready to serve.
Warning: Gently and slowly put egg rolls in the pan to avoiding hot oil could shoot up on your face.
*Remember to prepare such as a basket and put some paper in it, napkins is good, to avoid less oil in the egg rolls.
Step 6: Enjoy Your Food!
You can eat with any vegetables or any sauce that you like :)
Thank you for spend time to listening to my little tutorial on making egg rolls, now I hope you are enjoy your food!