Here a few suggestions, don't be afraid to mix and match:
The best type of oil to use is extra virgin olive oil, you can also use grape seed , peanut or sunflower oil. Walnut oil is also good if it will be used cold such as for salad dressings since it is not good for heating.
How to make:
- Wash your herbs and dry completely**
- Bruise or rub herbs, for spices toast them to bring out the flavour
- Place in a clean dry glass jar.
- Add oil until it completely covers the herbs/spices.
- Place a lid on the jar and close
- Place the jar on a sunny windowsill or other sunny spot. Swirl or shake the jar every day or so.
**It is important that no moisture is introduced into the oil as it can become rancid or prone to mold or bacteria growth. (Garlic is particularly prone to this so it should be stored in the fridge or made with the heating method in a skillet described in step 4.)