Instructables
Picture of How to make Kilju
Warning:I do not take any responsibility if you hurt yourself etc. Kilju contains alcohol so make it only if you are over 21

Kilju is a traditional finnish alcohol drink

It's made of sugar, yeast and water

It's illegal to make Kilju in Finland but it might be LEGAL in YOUR country ;)
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Ingredients

Picture of Ingredients
1 Bottle (at least 1,5 litres )
2 Dl sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
1 litre water
Mix all ingredients into the bottle.
The water should not be warmer that +30 degrees because the yeast "dies"

Here's a picture of the indgredients (well you don't really need the mushroom, it only symbolises the yeast =D )

Step 2: The Processing

Picture of The Processing
So basically it takes about 4-8 days to complete the process.
after the processing it should be 6-16 % ethanol.
when you close bottles cork, _DO_NOT_ screw it tighly because it needs to get some air, without it the whole thing is going to explode. There may be some steams comign from the bottle which may be stinky so place the bottle on a well ventilated place (outside if its summer)

if the cork is too tight, this happens =(

Step 3: Preparing the drink

Picture of preparing the drink
next, pour the mixture from the bottle through a Pantyhose (it seperates the yeast and other crap from the drinkable things)or let coffeemaker seperate it ( do not switch the coffee maker on!)

remeber to have a can,jug or whatever where you store the drink ;)

Kilju is drinkable for 2-7 days

Step 4: Ideas

Picture of Ideas
Heres some tips when drinking kilju

Serve kilju as Cold as possible!

You can also mix some juices on it

Use your imagination ;)!
I come from Finland happy that you Americans think of the Finnish tradition of drinking

"I forget, is it ethanol or methanol that makes you blind? ;-)"
-miserslippy

ethanol=alcohol
metanol=that poison

You can remove the methanol boiling drink pontikka (finnish moonshine) and discarded the first deciliter (methanol evaporates from 65 ° C for ethanol, but only 85 degrees Celsius, or methanol comes first)

sorry my bad english!!!!!!!
I forget, is it ethanol or methanol that makes you blind? ;-)
Do beer goggles count?
Methanol is what you should avoid. That's methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits. And if it doesn't kill you, will probably leave you blind. Ethanol, on the other hand, also known as ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is what's in those bottles at the bar. If you get confused, just think of Lucy and Desi's neighbors, Fred and Ethyl. Rubbing alcohol is often ethanol, denatured (so you can't drink it) with either methanol, acetone, or both.
hi, sorry, but wat's 'DI' as in "2 DI sugar" thanks
2 deciliters = 200 milliliters = 6.76 ounces (fluid)
baxxter955 years ago
Ihme että täälläkin suomalaisia :P
Sitä samaa. Kirjotin tohon hakuun booze ja repesin kun näin että ''How to make kilju''
I am pretty interested in making some of this stuff, but would like some reassurance. I've heard that when making moonshine, you produce methanol, and have to be very careful not to consume it, or you go blind. It is my belief that since this concoction has no fruit in it, that methanol cannot be produced (I've read that somewhere...) Anyway! I am very fond of my eyesight, and hope someone can give me some information about the safety of drinking this.
you only go blind from drinking bady' distilled spirits. You have to distill to make methanol.
It couldnt be any safer to drink.
Tomma (author)  thefreshlettuce5 years ago
hey, Well. after drinking this, i did not go blind, hoewer i don't take any resposibility if you do. But i'd say that you should try this if you want.
Oh, and a couple of tips on making alcohol on the cheap: Wine makers use an airlock to allow the yeast to ferment without letting air in, and without allowing a dangerous pressure buildup. You can achieve the same ends with a balloon, the neck of which is stretched over the container. This allows the fermentation process to give off CO2 without risking an explosion - just remember to let the gas out of the balloon a couple of times a day! The balloon is also a good indicator of when fermentation has completed - when the yeast is dead, it stops giving off gas and the balloon stops inflating! You can make your finished product stronger without setting up a complicated still by putting it in the freezer. Water melts at 0 degrees centigrade, while alcohol melts at something like -20 degrees. So long as your freezer doesn't drop below -15 or so, the water will freeze off, whilst the alcohol will remain liquid. Leave it in the freezer for a week or so, removing the ice each day, and you should end up with 2 or 3 times the alcohol content you started with. The finished product from this process is also handy for fuelling spirit burners and zippo lighters, as well as for cleaning wounds and degreasing metal. I wouldn't recommend drinking it, though!
Melting point of ethanol is −114.3 °C. I wouldnt use that freeze liquid for cleaning because it cointains impurities. Using it to fuel zippo lighters might ruin them because alcohol vaporizes easier than water leaving cotton inside lighter wet.
instead of letting out pressure a few times a day, just poke a small hole in the balloon, thats what i do and it works great
Good call, and I wish I'd thought of that! I was making some sloe wine a couple of years ago, forgot to relieve pressure in the balloons and, well, it took a couple days to get all the fermented sloe-berry juice off the walls, ceiling etc. A pinhole would have stopped that.
Fieldownage5 years ago
Mukavaa työtä!
jaysbob6 years ago
next up: "Make pruno, the old fashioned way!!" I like the paint pictures.
hammerhead6 years ago
Oh man, it takes some hair on the chest to drink this stuff. My dad used to make this with regular breadyeast (2 weeks fermentation, 25 litres) and it tasted like the devils bumhole. And by the way, this is the raw product used for production of alcohol and owning an apparatus for distilling, and the use of it, is prohibited in many countries.
flactemnad6 years ago
dL = deci Liters = 1/10 liter = 100 milliliters
2 dL = 200 milliliters

Too bad our American educational system doesn't teach the metric system more, since these are simple standards. For instance take a look at the differences between common measurements on this wikipedia page - all could be equal with a metric system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_weights_and_measures#Metric_measures