Allthough there are a lot of simpler ways to make these savory noodles, the traditional and my most favorite is scraping.
This Instructable introduces you to this technique, which, like always, becomes simpler with a little practice.
Step 1: Materials
- Spätzle grater
- Spätzle board
- Big pot
- Kitchen scales
Instead of the special tools you can use for example:
- Blunt side of a big kitchen knife
- Any kind of small wooden kitchen or cutting board
Step 2: Recipe
500 g (1.1 pound*) wheat flour
pinch of salt
150-200 ml (5.1-6.8 fl. oz.*) water
Mix all ingredients with a kitchen aid or by hand, add water little by little to get a ropy consistency. Then let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
* converted via Google
Step 3: Actual preparation
2. Dip the board into the water and moisturize it. Be sure to keep your board moist all the time to prevent the dough from sticking to it.
3. Put a small amount of dough and smooth it down on your board, which you slightly dip in the water.
4. Then begin to grate little portions of dough into the boiling water with the help of your grater or the tool of your choice.
5. When you're done with the first round wait for all Spätzle to float and then quickly put them in your colander for draining.
6. Repeat 4 and 5 until you processed the whole dough.
7. Enjoy your handmade Spätzle!