I am planning to dress up as Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy Seven. I'm working on his Advent Children costume for Anime Festival Orlando 2010. I did a bit of research and the consensus appears to be that the cape and claw are the hardest parts. So I chose to start there.
Since I've never made armor before, fake or otherwise, I decided to start with a paper mock up. If you read along you'll see how I managed my claw, and possibly be able to make your own.
Be sure to wear work gloves and eye protection while cutting, or hammering, so as to avoid injury. I didn't wear gloves and now I have several cuts that could have been easily avoided. Don't do it!
Step 1: Materials
Ok, for this you will need the paper materials and the metal materials
- Some Rockin' Tunes (I like Metal or Techno for this)
- Poster Board
- Straight Edge (A ruler works)
- Razor Knife (optional, I only used it when I lost the scissors to be honest)
- Flat Thumbtacks OR Paper Fasteners (Not Pushpins!)
- Patience and lots of it
- The glove (I forgot at this point so mine fits my hand well without a glove, I need to tinker now! Don't make my mistake)
For the metal work you will need:
- More music (Metal is great when cutting it XD)
- The Sharpie still
- The pattern you just made (So the final piece fits you!)
- Tin Snips
- A File
- Whitney Punch
- Two Piece Rivets (My home depot didn't even know what they were I get them from Tandy)
- Your Metal (I used 26 gauge steel with a zinc plating like this one at home depot I had lots left over, since I needed more for more armor, but if you only want the gauntlet, get less)
- Ball Peen Hammer
- Anvil (A hard rock will probably work, everything in this project is fairly malleable)
- A piece of scrap and some magnets for cleanup
At this point in purchasing, I has still under thirty dollars, which was what I hoped to spend on the gauntlet and boots.