Introduction: How to Make a DIY Mosquito Trap
I hate mosquitos they are buzzing and biting. We have to fight but the weapons are limited...
You can use chemicals, candles, insecticides, nets etc. They effectiveness are not enought in every situation but here is another solution to stand well in the fight against these bastards :)
If you want to learn about the enemy read these Mosquito facts:
- Mosquito is Spanish for “little fly”
- There are more than 3,500 species of mosquitoes
- Only female mosquitoes bite people - Mosquitoes don't have teeth
- A mosquito can drink up to three times its weight in blood
- Female mosquitoes can lay up to 300 eggs at a time
- Mosquitoes spend their first 10 days in water
- Mosquitoes hibernate - The average mosquito lifespan is less than two months
some more on the link ;) (from: http://www.megacatch.com/mosquitofacts.html)
Step 1: Watch the Video!
It only take 10 minutes to make one!
As you can see on the picture the tools and ingredients are:
- a soda bottle (any size usable but bigger is always better)
- lukewarm water
- knife (or a scissors)
- any kind of adhesive tape
Step 3: #1
Take the knife and carefully cut the top third of the soda bottle!
ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHEN USING A KNIFE!!!
Step 4: #2
When the cutting is done push back the top inversely into the bottle.
Don't forget to take off the cap ;)
Step 5: #3
You can skip this step if the top stay tight in the bottle.
But if it's not just take some tape stuck together the two parts.
Step 6: #4
Here comes the soul of the trap! The mixture!!!
Put the yeast the sugar and the lukewarm water into the bottle trap.
Mix it well.
The mixture emits carbon dioxide which attract mosquitoes. They thinks it's food in the bottle and once they flew in they couldn't get out anymore!
Step 7: #5
You can place it where ever you want inside-outside near or far. Try to put it next to the most infected areas.
Step 8: The End
This trap is also effective against flies, bugs etc. So it's a must try project!
I put it out to the terrace! I hope it's as effective as it mentiod everywhere!
I will try to make some picture and update this instructable with my results.
If you like this projekt just do it and give my feedback about your results!
Thanks for reading this article!
That's the ShiftyWay ;)
Step 9: +1
At this site you can find some other tips to prevent mosquito bites