Introduction: How to Make a Drew Sandwich
Are you on a tight budget and have no cooking experience? If you are a college student, you most likely said yes. The Drew Sandwich is a meal I started making because it was cheap, tasty, and very easy to make. Each sandwich costs about $1 in ingredients. Eventually I started making one everyday since they are so delicious, which is why my friends started calling it a "Drew" Sandwich. Making this meal only takes about 5-10 minutes, and requires minimal cooking experience. This instructable will teach you how to make a Drew Sandwich so you can cook one up any time of the day.
Step 1: Gather Materials
The ingredients and equipment used to make a Drew Sandwich are commonly found in a kitchen. You shouldn't need to spend a bunch of money at the grocery store getting the materials since this meal is cheap and easy to make.
- 1 Egg
- 1 English Muffin
- 1 Slice of ham
- 1 Slice of cheese
- Cooking Oil or Butter
Step 2: Prepare the Skillet
- Take out skillet and plug it in TIP: If you don't have a skillet, using a pan on the stove will work just fine. However, using a large cooking surface will be much easier.
- Put cooking oil or butter on the cooking area
- Spread the cooking oil around with the spatula so it covers the whole area you are going to cook on
- Turn the skillet on to around 225 degrees CAUTION: Skillet will get very hot. Do not touch it. Make sure to use the spatula when handling the food on the skillet.
Preparing the skillet is important because it is what you are using to cook most of the ingredients. The temperature and amount of oil or butter used effects the outcome of the sandwich.
Step 3: Prepare the Egg
- Crack the egg and put it on the skillet
- Check the egg for any pieces of shell, if there are no pieces of shell present, you may proceed
- Wait about 30 seconds
- Flip or move the edges of the egg so it is about the diameter of an English muffin NOTE: This will make it easier to eat and give the sandwich a better overall appearance
- Flip the egg over once the bottom is showing signs of brown
- Turn down the heat TIP: If you prefer a solid yolk, leave the egg on the skillet for a longer time
The egg is the heart of the Drew Sandwich. If prepared properly, this could be the most delicious sandwich you have ever tasted.
Step 4: Prepare the Bread, Meat, and Cheese
Preparing the bread, meat and cheese is the most difficult part of making the sandwich. However, if it is done correctly, the finished product will be much more delicious.
- Pull the English muffin apart NOTE: Other breads can be used in place of an English muffin. However, in my opinion an English muffin tastes the best
- Put it in the toaster at a low-medium setting
- Place the slice of ham on the skillet next to the egg NOTE: Other meats can be used such as turkey, chicken, or bacon
- Wait 30 seconds
- Put the cheese on the egg TIP: Avoid letting the cheese touch the skillet because it will make a mess
- Place the ham on the cheese
- Allow the cheese to melt, but not so much that it starts to run
Step 5: Put It All Together
You're almost done! Now that all the parts of the sandwich are cooked, all that is left is putting the sandwich together.
- Take the English muffin out of the toaster
- Put the English muffin on a plate
- Pick up all ingredients on the skillet with a spatula
- Place the ingredients on the bottom piece of the English muffin TIP: Make sure the plate is close to the skillet so the juices don't spill from egg, cheese, and ham
- Turn the skillet off
- Use a spoon to place salsa onto the ham
- Put the top piece of the English muffin on top
Step 6: Enjoy!
Congratulations! You have made your first Drew Sandwich. Hopefully it looks like the one in the picture above. The English muffin should be on bottom, followed by an egg, melty cheese, ham, salsa, and topped off with the other half of the English muffin. If this is not the case, practice makes perfect! Knowing how to make this sandwich will help you save money, and also add another meal to your repertoire. I hope you fall in love with the Drew Sandwich at first bite.