I have to do a Dragon body paint next month and I wanted a nice interesting Headpiece. having very little money I thought I would make one.
here's how i made mine. It would probably be possible to make this into a mask too.
Step 1: The design and materials
I found this excellent illustration by McGibs and thought I would try and turn the two dimensional image into a 3 dimensional object.
I used standard A4 card stock (180 gsm)
A printer and computer
Glass-fibre layup resin
Isopon P38 (Bondo)
Sharp knives and scissors
Step 2: Preparing the design
I used GIMP to remove all the horns and the face and lower jaw, then printed off 2 resized images onto the card stock.
These were then cut out, and I worked out where I wanted to cut and where I wanted to fold.
The two side were then glued together at the nose and the general shape and dimensions were worked out.
I used more card to fill the gaps, sticking them in with masking tape.
Step 3: Stiffening the basic structure
Once the basic card assembly was complete, I coated the inside with a layer of resin. Once cured I turned it over and added another layer of resin to the outside.
This was then set aside for a few hours to go solid.
Step 4: Adding the texture
Once the resin had cured, I began coating it with P38 (Bondo).
I tried to get the thickness's to vary in line with the original drawing.
Once the P38 (Bondo) had hardened off, I used the Dremel with a rough sanding drum to smooth out the contours whilst keeping a slightly rough 'bone like' texture to it.
Finally i made the smaller horns from P38 (Bondo) and stuck them in place.
Step 5: First paint job
Since the original drawing is monochrome I had to decide on some colours. I went for yellow, brown and black.
The paint was applied with brush, sponge and airbrush. I sort of added a little of the patterns of the original drawing too.