This is a weapon and so is capable of lethality and that is for all people within range. This includes the launcher. Don’t throw when there is wind, rain, or so on that can affect trajectory. If you screw up the throw people may be at risk and it may swing back and stab you. You make this at your own risk. This may be illegal in your area, so check. Don’t blame me.
Now that is out of the way, let’s get started!
By the way you can mix the steps up into what you want to do ( within reason ) this is just the order i did it in.
Step 1: Collect Materials
There are fairly few materials needed for this but the most important is hardest to obtain. most of these are inter-changeable so I’ll say what i used and it’s purpose:
• A 4 foot broom handle, but for some reason it was spiked. It had a end cap that I could use to keep the tail fins together. (you can use anything, really, as long as it has a 1’’ radius and is strait and is around 3-4 foot long – that depends on your height oh and wood is usually best).
• A reel of string.(length can vary but it is usually best to go for some heavier duty stuff – so it’ll last)
• An ice cream tub and it’s lid (this is for the flights, so there are loads of possibilities as to what you can use but I chose this because it’ll last, it’s thin and most of all it was to hand)
• Red Spray paint (just to make it look a bit cooler than a stick with an ice cream tub tied on the back, but the paint peals so any cooler ideas are welcome, just post below.)
The tools are fairly simple:
• A work bench (with a vice to hold the project when sawing)
• A hack saw (or other type of saw, depending on the width of your flights)
• A knife (to sharpen and cut the notch)
• A craft knife - there is a difference craft knifes are sharper and when blunted you snap the section off. (this is for cutting the ice cream tub and tidying things up)
• A bit of sand paper (to smooth down the wood and to tidy up working marks.)
Step 2: Construct the Flights
They should be a mirror image of them selves, so of the four flights there are two pieces of material.
Spray paint them. Leave them out to dry.
You then measure half way along it’s length and cut from the centre outwards on one cut towards the bottom and on the other towards the top. Slide the slots together to from an x shape. Make sure they fit and are level at the ends.
Step 3: Attach the Flights
Then you need to fix it into a vice and saw down it’s length in the centre up to your marking. Then turn 90 degrees and repeat.
Insert the flights and replace end cap (if you have one, if not just tie the same knot as instructed to in the next step above the flights to hold them in.
Step 4: Secure the Flights
Tie a knot below the flights to stop them from splitting down it’s length.
This knot is tied by making a U bent in the string and laying it parallel to the stick. Leave some of the standing end and wrap the working end around the sick working up to the U bend. Keep it tight. When you are near the end of the string or the U bend you put the working end into the U bend and pull tight on both ends then only on the standing end to allow the U bend to be pulled beneath the coils.
Alternatively you can tie a bunch of half hitches around the stick.
Cut of the exess string from both sides
Step 5: Angle the Flights
In the picture I have done it in the wrong way because I am right handed.
Step 6: Create the Notch
You want string to hold in here when you through then you cut out a groove so the tail end side is slanted but the pointy end side is flat and goes straight in.
Sand the notch down so it is smooth.
This is important as without the notch it would merely allow the string to slip
Step 7: Sharpen It
It would be a good idea to sand it down afterwards, to avoid splinters.
Step 8: Throw!
You can tie the end of the string around your wrist or finger and wrap the rest around your hand.
Give it a throw and watch it go. Don’t forget to follow through to pull off all of the string.
As a key : you want the string to make the stick spin in the same direction as the flights make it spin.
I have heard that you can thorw it up to around 200 yards, with practice and on my first go I got to 30 meters or more! So get makeing and try to beat the target!!