As usual I did some poking around my shed until I found some inspiration. It turned out that two pieces that had been calling to me for some time were at last just what I needed.
For the table top I had a slab of really heavy hard wood from my pile of fire wood. I believe it was an off cut from a mill that produces railway sleepers; sold as fire wood. This piece was just the right size at about 380mm x 240mm and about 30mm thick. A fantastic rich red colour.
Some sanding and planing and the slab looked quite presentable.
For the leg it was an old stainless steel submersible pump housing. Heavy enough for the job while being light enough to shape. The curve of the sections I cut from it would provide the stiffness I needed. Unfortunately it wasn't long enough without a joint, but at least I got an excuse to fire up the welder.
I cut two sections from the pump housing, each about 80mm wide. Joined together these make the single leg.