Everybody knows that gardens need water. I used a garden hose and sprinkler last summer and it provided adequate results. It did prove to be a challenge to remember to turn on the sprinklers in the morning or turn them off after about 30 min. This happened several times last summer and because of it I went looking for an automatic solution.
1. The Idea -- use a standard electric sprinkler valve and garden hose adapters to control the flow of water using a parallel port based C program in Linux. Scheduling accomplished by running a cronjob.
2. The Parts-- Gather the parts.
3. Build the Electronics -- Assemble the parts.
4. Plumbing-- Use the Thread Tape
5. Software -- Install linux compile some software and create a yard fountain. (see below)
6. Scheduling -- sudo Crontab -e
7. Other Notes-- more thoughts on the project.