1. The Idea -- use a standard electric sprinkler valve and garden hose adapters to control the flow of water using a parallel port based C program in Linux. Scheduling accomplished by running a cronjob.
2. The Parts-- Gather the parts.
3. Build the Electronics -- Assemble the parts.
4. Plumbing-- Use the Thread Tape
5. Software -- Install linux compile some software and create a yard fountain. (see below)
6. Scheduling -- sudo Crontab -e
7. Other Notes-- more thoughts on the project.
Step 1: The Idea...
The plan is to use a standard electric sprinkler valve two garden hose adapters a relay and old 12v power supply to control the flow of water from and old linux computer. This will allow the fine tuning of watering time using cronjobs.