This instructable will show you the pattern for making an Octohedron or D8 out of cardstock. Quick and easy this should take about 10-15 minutes.
Since we made our D4 at 8mm and D6 at 6mm we will make our D8 at 6.5mm. This should be a rough aproximation of the scale you would see D&D dice.
This is a slightly more complicated version of the Isohedron. We will start by making a base triangle just like the Isohedron, but will modify the body pattern.
Step 1: Materials
Cardstock or thick paper
Nail Polish Remover: Just incase you accidentally superglue your fingers.
Step 2: Making the Base Triangle
1. Turn the paper in a Landscape position.
2. Measure and mark 6.6cm and 3.3 cm from the left side on the top and bottom of the paper.
3.Connect the marks at top and bottom lightly.
4.Using the ruler measure 6.6 cm from the left hand corner on an angle until it touches the 3.3 cm mark.
5.Repeat the process from the other side. The marks should come to a point and make a perfect 8mm isosceles triangle
6.Double check the measurements and make sure all 3 sides are exactly 6.5cm.
7.Carefully cut the triangle out.
Step 3: Making the Body of the Octohedron
9. Using the cut out triangle as a template draw four triangles next to one another. Two will point up two will point down.
10. On top of the last triangle draw another series of four triangles.
Step 4: Score the sides
12. Score the lines on each triangle.
13.Hold a ruler over the scored lines and gently lift the corner, this will allow a nice crisp bend in the paper.