These generally take me between 3-5 hours. All shown pictures took me about 3 hours, and the Blue Oyster Cult picture took me closer to 5 hours. It is definitely worth the time.
(Props to my friend for making them before me and giving me the idea,)
Step 1: Get Supplies!
::6+ sheets of printer/blank paper
Each sheet can be used as:
1: The sheet used to trace the initial picture to determine shades. This will also be cut up.
2. Your initial picture. I copied photos into Word and enlarged to taste.
3. "White" layer sheet. This sheet will be on top of all pages. I generally type lyrics onto this sheet. This sheet is not cut.
4. "Light Grey" Layer sheet. This sheet (alone with "White" sheet) creates the light grey areas. This will be cut to include L. Grey, D. Grey, and Black.
5. "Dark Grey" Layer sheet. This sheet layered on both the White and L Grey creates D Grey. This area will also become a layer for Black.
6. "Black" layer sheet. This layer consists of 4 sheet thicknesses.
::Rubber Cement (I avoid glue/modge podge because these can warp paper easily.)
::Lightbox (if you do not have a lightbox, an adequate "flat" light source will work such as a window so you can write on the paper)
::4+ Bobby Pins, tape, or other means of security.
::Printer (optional, if you choose to find a picture on the internet)