FYI on Totoro dust bunnies:
These little critters are from a movie called My Neighbor Totoro. In the movie, these dust bunnies were originally called "Makkuro Kurosuke" or directly translated as " Pitch-black Blackie". According to an elderly lady in the movie, they were also called "Susuwatari" or " Traveling Soot". These dust bunnies were perfectly harmless and liked to live in places where there where not a lot of people. These dust bunnies are also incredibly cute.
Now that you know what these are, let's get started!!!
Step 1: Materials
- Pom Pom Balls of the color black ( then again if you wish to make a multi-colored one, no one's stopping you )
- Scissors ( fabric scissors are best )
- Hot Glue Gun ( with Hot Glue Gun sticks )
- Black Marker ( dry-erase, sharpie...etc..)
-Some sort of string-like attachment ( the one i used was found in a salvation from the mess i call my room )
- hoomin ( Homo sapiens sapiens )
-felt ( white preferably )
Step 2: Making and Glueing the Eyes
Take the white felt and cut out two circles
Next, take your black marker and make two dots so that when you put then next to each other, they look cross-eyed
After you make the eyes, take a hot glue gun and glue it onto the black pom pom ball.
Now, congrats, you have make a totoro dust bunny!!!
- Try to make the eyes the same size
- Make sure that the circles are able to fit on the dust bunnies without taking up too much space
- They should look like eyes, not sunglasses
- When your draw the dots, try to make then noticeable, but not too big
- When applying the glue, make sure that the glue can be squeezed out easily
Step 3: Making the Chain
For me, i decided to make two.
After you've decided on the number , you have to make the chain.
Once you've found your string thing ( or what you decided to attach the dust bunny to ) all you have to do is glue the dust bunnies on to the attachment.
Its best if you attach it on the back of the dust bunny so you can cover it up easier later.
Step 4: Covering It Up
To do this, you have to cut a pom pom in half. Then, you have to take half of the pom pom and glue it onto the back of the dust bunny and cover up the attachment.
If the pom pom falls apart ( as in not attached and turns into little strings ) its ok because you just need to glue it onto the back of the dust bunny. If all goes well, the half pom pom should be able to cover the attachment and it should seem like it came up from the middle of the pom pom.
Step 5: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Everything else is up to your imagination!
Say if you wanted to make it a key-chain or something like that.
Hope it came out nicely!
PS: if you see these weird green time things on the pictures, its my camera's fault ( its old and it always gets the times mixed up... -_-;; )