A step by step guide to making a berry pie from scratch using fresh blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries.
Step 1: Gather all your ingredients
Gather all the berries that you want to add to your pie.
Step 2: The ingredients that are needed
Gather all the ingredients that is needed.
The berry filling:
-2 lbs of fresh berries
-1 oz of butter
-3 oz of sugar
-2 oz of water
-1 oz of cornstarch
-3.5 oz of sugar
-1/5 tsp of salt
-2 tsp lemon juice
-.25 oz butter
-1lb 4oz of pastry flour
-14 oz of shortening
-6 oz of cold water
-.4 oz of salt
-1 oz of sugar
Step 3: Making the filling
1. Add the fruit into a saucepan. Place it on medium heat until the juices are released, then add the cornstarch with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 10 minutes or until thick.
2. Remove from heat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir gently. Set aside and allow to cool.
Step 4: Making the crust
1. Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Cut shortening into flour.
*For flaky dough, cut until fat particles are the size of peas.
3. Dissolve salt and sugar in water.
4. Add water to flour mixture. Mix very gently, just until water is absorbed. Do not overwork the dough.
Step 5: Making the crust cont.
1. Place dough in pans, cover and place in the refrigerator or retarder for at least 4 hours.
Step 6: Rolling out the dough.
1. Roll out the dough to about an 1/8 of an inch.
2. Place the rolled out dough onto a pie pan.
Step 7: Filling the pie pan
Fill the pie pan with the berry mixture.
Step 8: Making a latice top.
Cut the remaining dough into strips. Place the strips over the pie.
Step 9: Overlapping the latice top.
Take strips and go under/over the strips that are already on the pie.
Step 10: Making it look nice
Cut all the excess dough off.
Step 11: Finished pie right before baking.
Here is what the pie should look like right before it is placed in the oven.
Step 12: Baking the pie
Place the pie in the oven and bake at 425 degrees for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 13: The finished product
This is what the pie should look like when it is done.