Lasagna takes a lot of ingredients, but it also feeds a lot of people.
For the tomato meat sauce:
- 2 x 28 oz. cans tomatoes - crushed or whole is best! If you get whole canned tomatoes just crush them in your hands.
- 1-2 tbsp tomato paste (this is my favorite kind!)
- 1 large onion
- garlic, garlic, garlic - I always use a ton! I'd say two cloves minimum!
- 1 pound ground beef, preferably lean
- 1 pound Italian sausage - choose whatever spice level you like!
- dried oregano
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil - dried can also be substituted!
- olive oil
Keep in mind that if you can always just cook up some meat and then pour a couple jars of tomato sauce over it, so don't worry about it if you look at the ingredients and wonder what you've gotten yourself into.
For the rest of the lasagna:
- 1 package of noodles (should be around a pound in weight) - oven-ready or regular.
- 1 lb. mozzarella
- 1/2 lb. good quality parmesan
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- dried oregano + basil