This ible will cover how to assemble lasagna, and also how to make the meat sauce that goes in mine!
I've been making this for a few years and it's always well received. Hope you enjoy it! :D
Step 1: Ingredients!
For my tomato meat sauce:
- 2 28 oz. cans tomatoes - I typically do one can diced, one crushed for a little bit of texture!
- 1-2 tbsp tomato paste (this is my favorite kind!)
- 1 large onion
- garlic, garlic, garlic - I always use a ton! I'd say two cloves minimum!
- 1 lb. ground beef, preferably lean
- dried oregano
- crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil - dried can also be substituted!
- 1 package of noodles (should be around a pound in weight)
- 1 lb. mozzarella
- 1/2 lb. good quality parmesan
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- large sauce pan or dutch oven to make sauce in
- 13x9 baking dish - I recommend glass - I always make mine in Pyrex
- large pot for boiling pasta
Step 2: Making the meat sauce, part 1.
Roughly dice the onion, and mince as much garlic as you want. I used eight cloves.
Once this is done, throw the ground beef brick into a pan over medium heat and cook until browned. If a lot of fat seeps out, drain most of it. You need only a few tablespoons of fat to cook the onion and garlic in.
Once you've drained the extra fat, throw in the onions, garlic, some salt and pepper, and a good amount of crushed red pepper.
Stir this around for a few minutes over medium heat until the onions become soft. Then add in a few good pinches of oregano and a tablespoon or two of tomato paste. (I'm using the concentrated kind, so not as much.)