Glow sticks are always awesome .From Concert to campfire,child to old people all love the Glow Stick.Glow Stick s a self-contained, short-term light-source.It was invented backs in the 90's around 1965.Basically Glow Stick consists of a translucent plastic tube containing isolated substances that, when combined, make light through chemiluminescence, so it does not require an external energy source.The light cannot be turned off, and can be used only once.
I Always wanted to make My Own Glow Stick . So I made a led One to have the fun with it also the glow stick Could gave me opportunity to click some cool light trails photographs
But this one will use led for giving the effect,so you can turn it on and off anytime you want.
Advantages of LED Glow Stick
- Since its electronic, potential danger ,due to the spilling of chemicals in chemical glow sticks, is absent
- It is cheap and easy to make at home
- Can be reused only changing battery will be required.
- Can be turned on and off easily
So lets make one :)
Also like my page for support
Step 1: List of Material
- Battery 3v button cell (CR2032)(Electronic Store)
- 5 mm LEDs (Electronics Store)
- 5 mm transparent pipe (Hardware Store)
- Glue Gun
Step 2: Putting the First LED Inside the Tube
- Apply a little glue at the end of the transparent tube.
- ( Note the length of the tube should not much . I used around 15 cm length tube.)
- Push the LED in to the tube .make sure its Air tight .
- If you don't have glue gun,simply push the led inside tightly.
- Use the Cello tape to block the led.Tightly Wrap It to make it water Tight
Step 3: Fill the Tube With Water
- After u have sealed one of the end with glue and led ,fill the tube with water till the other end.
- keep a little space to glue the other end the second led.
- You can use a syringe to fill the water.
- After filling the tube with water add little cornstarch to diffuse the water.
- apply glue to the end and push the second led tightly.It should look like the image .
Step 4: Check the Seals
- Check the seals to ensure no water comes outside.
- If It comes out then don't worry apply a little more glue and tap it.(if you didn't apply glue and poured water .no need to check seals.:P).
- I put black tape around the tube to hide the glue part.
Its ready now time to connect the battery.
Step 5: Its Time for the Battery to Talk
Connect the leads to the button cell properly and enjoy.
Step 6: Some Fun With It
Here are some light trail photos i clicked with the Glow Stick.