Step 1: Collect materials
The pipe is 1-1/4 inch thin-walled PVC, with one end widened to allow pipes to be fit together easily. This was big enough to allow the loops on the rod to fit in.
Obviously I used a sewing machine. This would have taken WAY too long without one. Whether it is the "correct" thread and stitch I have no idea. It doesn't have to endure a bomb strike.
Step 2: Cut PVC to length
I cut the pipe long enough to extend past the end of the pole by three inches, to protect the tip of the rod.
The widened end of the pipe fits over the base of the reel mount, and stops right under the reel, providing a simple stop.
My three rods are two different lengths, and I should have made them all the same longest length, but I didn't figure that out until after the short one had been made!
Step 3: Cut canvas to size
I'm a very intuitive person when it comes to measuring and cutting, which means I'm not exacting. I just laid the rod inside the pipe on the canvas, folded it over, and cut out an approximation of what would fit around it. I made it longer at the tip and at the base, to allow for "tweaking."
The base ended up just long enough to cinch closed with a piece of rope.