I think my favorite DIY capo has got to be the rubberband-and-pen capo just because it's so easy! But that capo left a dent in my (cheap) guitar neck... so i've devised a new way to make a capo that's incredibly simple and totally cheap!

Thanks DarkMuskrat:
"Hey, this is pretty good for any guitarists.
And i'm pretty sure that part/tool is just called a "plastic cabinet handle"
you can buy them anywhere so maybe check at home depot or somewhere."

so if you ever see the words "weird unnamable tool" just remember, it's a plastic cabinet handle!

here's a super helpful tip from gmoon:
"I like your capo (+plussed) ...might I suggest you replace the screws with a threaded shaft (cut off the screw head), then use wing nuts to tighten / attach the wood piece?

Then you could take it off and tighten it without a screwdriver..."

and remember to rate my instructable! thanks.
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Gather Your Materials

You're going to need:
1. an Unnamable tool, see picture one, and someone please tell me what it's called! (it should already have screws)
2. A ruler or some small piece of wood
3. plastic washers (if you want)
4. clamps (optional)
5. CD-Spindle foam cylinder
6. cutting tool (old knife or superlong dremel cutter tool)
7. Rubber sole from an old shoe
8. Electrical tape
9. Tea Candle and matches
nbwriter3 years ago
Not a bad "prototype" : The fundamental strength needed to grip all 6 strings across the fretboard has been addressed. But like all prototypes, its only when you play vigorously that you'll know if it's got what it takes.

Both foam padding and rubber strip can be thinner, making the design less "chunky". Great idea to use "shoe sole" rubber, because that's hardened for long-term use.

I'll refine this design by curving the wooden ends, painting the washers black, or inking them black with a marker. Spray the "cabinet handle" gold (and the screws) - I'll also try to put a slot in one end of the wood, so the capo can be easily taken off / or attached. (that might be tricky if the clearances aren't right).

Only real down side is you might dent guitar neck if it's over-tightened. Wouldn't use this on a vintage gib, initially!
bcomahig3 years ago
This might actually work! Maybe you could make it look a bit simpler so it doesn't stick out too much and ruin the look of your guitar.
Still, Good job on this!
painhertz7 years ago
I think I'll just buy one.
the instructables robot is going to ban u for uttering those words... u have been warned...
alvincredible (author)  Shut Up Now6 years ago
LOL yeah id rather buy one. BUT this thing has actualyl saved me a few times. I lost my capo and i had to play for church and i happened to bring this one day. Worked like a charm mauhahaha
Okay, had to play for church and mauhahaha just don't work in the same sentence, lol.
They weren't used in the same sentence. ;)
 i agree...
The DIY spirit is disgusted at that.
mweston6 years ago
You could probably mod a chip bag clip to make a capo, it would take some work, but who knows...
schaude7 years ago
i don't know how that "tool" may be called in english, but you can i.e. open cupboards with it...
its a drawer handle
Bubbler7 years ago
Instead of a hole on the lower side of your capo, make it a slot, then you can swing the capo for quick release and re-fit etc. Glue the washer to the head of the bolt on that side to keep it in place. Great capo.
alvincredible (author)  Bubbler7 years ago
reply! yeah i was thinking that too because i have one of those capos, but i lost it... and for some reason, i had no idea how to do it -_-. now i do haha. -_-
dacker7 years ago
A piece of a wooden paint stirring stick, which is free at any home center or paint store, is probably just the right size for your application. Sometimes they are plastic, so YMMV.
darkmuskrat7 years ago
Hey, this is pretty good for any guitarists. And i'm pretty sure that part/tool is just called a "plastic cabinet handle" you can buy them anywhere so maybe check at home depot or somewhere.
alvincredible (author)  darkmuskrat7 years ago
LOL yeah i just asked my dad and he told me it was a plastic cabinet handle too -_- ahha i seriously was convinced that it was some sort of something. Like those hooks... anyway. thanks for the input :-)