Rare earth neodymium magnet is the newest generation and the most powerful magnet so far, there are lots of uses of it, here I present on how to make a fancy jewelry with these magnets.

Step 1: Get 1/4 Diameter or 3/8" Diameter Magnetic Spheres

step 1,
Purchase some gold coated magnet spheres from one of the rare earth magnet stores, one of them I use is Applied Magnets.

hahah i have just over 1000 of these ...
ouch wat if one pinched u
u r so bad
It needs more pictures.. its just the same over and over.
It does look good, but it's not much of a new idea - this is how many of the smaller neodymium magnets are sold on ebay (as bracelets). My biggest concern is what happens to things around me - my keys, phone and wallet all live in pockets near wrist height; am I going to stick to my keys, wipe my credit cards and wreck my phone just by walking along with my arms at my sides?
If magnets form a magnetic circuit, their field remains <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewx9tEJJlWk">well-contained</a>. <br/><br/>I keep a good-sized N50 attached to my keychain and not shielded at all. Just to be on the safe side, my keys go in a different pocket than my wallet and I don't set them down within a few inches of each other. My cards have been just fine so far. (I have not experimented with this, but the MythBusters found credit cards <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.tv.com/mythbusters/barrel-of-bricks-pissing-on-the-third-rail-eel-skin-wallet/episode/285547/recap.html">surprisingly difficult to erase</a>.)<br/>
Please be very careful with these magnets and credit cards. I was using a rare earth magnet from a hard drive and accidently left it on the seat of my truck. Credit cards in my rear pocket WERE erased.
I'd prefer not to risk it - maybe it's just me, but my cards fail on a fairly regular basis.
Very interesting.. Perhaps you don't have much interest in the potential of magnets to change flows of energy. I'll leave you with the thought that straping high powered Earth magnets to your wrists may alter the way your body works. I would be watching for signs like "not feeling the best" for an extended period of time whilst wearing.. Just to be on the safe side. By the way, they look very nice. :)
Next thing we know you'll be telling us that Neodymium causes cancer, right?
No the next thing i'll tell you is, everything around you causes cancer in <em>some</em> way.... WoW!! did he really say that? cancer you say, everything you say?! <br/><br/>Your comment has nothing to do with what I said. Have you ever used magnets for therapy before? Or are you just trying to get a responce from me..? <br/>
Yea almost everything causes cancer and the reson to be carful is the fact that these can be EXTREMELY powerful magnets and they can pull iron from your bloobstream and cause clotting, like he said just be carefull, small ones shouldn't do much but they can cause damage.
Iron in your blood is not the slightest bit magnetic. (Unless you have hemochromatosis, in which case, jewelry is the least of your problems.)
Ahem .. iron is always ferric weather in the bloodstream or not. In fact I believe this is currently in some reasearch to see if magnets placed on the body will improve healing through increased bloodflow.
No, iron has a number of oxidation states. Two of the more common are ferric iron (Fe+3) and ferrous iron (Fe+2). Metallic iron (Fe) is the form that exhibits ferromagnetism. <br/><br/><a rel="nofollow" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemoglobin#Iron.27s_oxidation_state_in_oxyhemoglobin">Hemoglobin</a> has been experimentally determined to exhibit diamagnetism. Like water and other components of your cells, it cannot be magnetized, has no north or south orientation, and is very weakly repelled by a strong magnet. <br/><br/>As far as studies, they seem to be mainly with extremely strong MRI magnets and do not show any effect. For example, this one used a <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17969172">94,000 gauss</a> field. The only studies I see that show a possible effect on blood flow are ones that demonstrate <em>decreased</em> flow in capillaries.<br/>
I stand corrected. Good work on the research, I do so love good linking.
by EXTREMELY powerful magnets, i mean a magnet thats has a pull force off 1000+ pounds
Neodymium may cause cancer... but the magnetic field keeps it at bay! I have studied this NONE of my life and have NO proof. MUHAHAHAHAH
You may be interested to know that research published a couple of years ago in the British Medical Journal showed that magnetic therapies only work if you expect them to. That is, the effect is a total placebo, with no actual medicinal effects, either positive or negative.
Yes in general I would agree.<br/>Yet many people do believe in the effects. As you would know, the human brain is a very complex. You can will yourself to become unwell aswell as a bit of positive thinking can improve your overall being. Humans are fical creatures, I was merely pointing out that <em>some</em> people could be effected.<br/><br/>On the topic of placebo's, that term has been coined to explain the effects of something europeans can't verbalise correctly. History tells us that in many other cultures <em>placebo's</em> are perseaved differently and instead of being the outlining instances that disprove a theory, they are looked apon as examples of benefits in non medicinal practises. <br/>Perhaps we could understand <em>why</em> we become sick unexplainably if we could understand why we can will ourselves to become better.<br/>
Perceived not perseaved Affected not effected There is no need for the apostrophe in placebos Please learn to spell before criticising others.
Interrestingly enough <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20080204181613data_trunc_sys.shtml">Expensive Placebo</a> Works Better Than Cheap One so perhaps they where just to cheap? ;)<br/>
In the UK, NHS treatments are free anyway, so cost doesn't (shouldn't) affect medical trials over here. Interesting read, though.
While I agree with you %100, the magnets used in that will not be super powered ones like these
Why this instructable has been featured?
oh ,i don't know
remember to make the mental note of dont touch your tv/computer monitor, use a laptop, reach down to your computer on/off, or touch a floppy disk while wearing these lol
It is only bad for your monitor if you <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewx9tEJJlWk">take it apart</a> to play with the magnets. Granted, it's not likely that you could own these things and resist playing with them.<br/>
definitely not going to wear this... im around an electronic device almost 24/7.
A note about durability:<br/><br/>Neodymium magnets are always plated or coated with another substance, since the magnets themselves will quickly <em>rust away</em> if exposed to air. They are also <em>somewhat brittle</em>. In my experience, they are about as resistant to chipping as unglazed pottery; you can snap small ones together without damage as long as you're holding onto them.<br/><br/>I have read that using <em>sphere</em> magnets for jewelry will cause the nickel coating to wear off at the point of contact. If you use <em>cylinder</em> magnets (<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.kjmagnetics.com/search.asp?stext=diametrically">click the search button here</a>), the contact is spread out along a line, rather than a point.<br/>
adzactly how much does it cost in Australian dollars? because they're rare are they expensive?
They're called &quot;rare-earth&quot; magnets because one of the ingredients, neodymium, falls into that category of elements. They're actually not particularly rare.<br/><br/>Here's an example of how to find the price. You would probably want to find a local supplier for Australia.<br/><br/>(17cm wrist) / (<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D24DIA">1/8 inch diameter</a>) = 54 magnets<br/>$9.50 for 50 <br/>$0.84 for 4 more<br/>$5.00 or so shipping<br/><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.google.com/search?&q=15.34+usd+in+aud">$15.34 total</a><br/>
I can think of many reasons that having a bunch of very powerful magnets making contact with things I touch would be undesirable, like, £500 worth of undesirable
The magnetic field is negligible as long as these are connected into a ring. But, yes, there might be problems if you opened it up to play with the magnets.
is it harmful and how much does it cost?
Some people can get rashes when they wear nickel jewelry. If you were extremely unlucky, a loose magnet (not connected in a circle) might be able to trigger the reset switch on a pacemaker. Your kid could also swallow a couple magnets at separate times and somehow pinch the lining of the intestines between them, leading to perforation. For the vast majority of people without young kids, though, this is perfectly safe. A buying tip: Don't buy these from jewelry or alternative medicine stores; you're likely to get ripped off. K&J Magnetics and Applied Magnetics are good sources.
Cool! I can see the camera in some of the magnets. :P Great job!

About This Instructable




More by yanan1:How to make a rare earth magnet jewelry easily 
Add instructable to: