Step 1: Ingredients
Habanero or Scotch Bonnet chillies (I don't know which, but please see photo)
You'll also need a food-blender, a sauce pan, graduated jug & a clean bottle.
Step 2: Preparation
- Cut chillies roughly (I used 7), I'd advise removing the seeds for a better flavour to heat ratio. These things will hurt you, take your own precautions...
- Peel & chop garlic roughly (I used 3 fat cloves)
- Measure the capacity of your bottle with the jug & water. Add chillies garlic to the jug & enough vinegar to make the volume you need, plus a little more. I made ~ 1/4 pint ~150 ml
- Transfer these to a pan, add ~ 5 teaspoons of salt, an a teaspoon of sugar, heat to boil & simmer (with a lid) for ~ 15 min
- Blend this mixture until smooth, reheat in the pan & pour into your bottle using the jug.
Step 3: Variations
For a cooler sauce:
Use fewer chillies & thicken with cornflour. Mix a little cornflour with cold water & stir into the simmering liquid a little at a time, remembering that it will be thicker when cooled. Get this wrong & you won't get it out of the bottle...
Other ingredients could include:
Various herbs & spices