Before you begin, check your printer driver to see if printing in poster format is an option. It will save you a lot of time and effort. Big thanks to the aware Karel Jansens for the printer driver tip.
Step 1: Save your Word Document as a TIFF file
1. On the File menu, click Print.
2. In the Name list in the Print dialog box, click Microsoft Office Document Image Writer.
3. Click Properties.
4. In the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
5. Under Output format, select the TIFF - Monochrome Fax option, Superfine 300 DPI and then click OK.
6. In the Print dialog box, click OK.
7. In the Save as dialog box, select the View Document Image check box, and any additional options you want, and then click OK.
Step 2: Download and install Picture Window Pro
A 30-day evaluation version of Picture Window Pro 4.0. The evaluation version can be converted to a full working version by purchasing a serial number.
For Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Vista
The evaluation verion is not disabled in any way, but if you need this function often, please consider buying a license. They make a pretty handy piece of software.
Step 3: Open the TIFF file in Picture Window Pro and print your heart out
You will see the following page. Select how many pages you want to tile horizontally and vertically (how big) you want the poster, what size paper (letter or legal), and the orientation (portrait or landscape).
Set the "Print pages" numbers to the total pages of yoru poster, in my case it should be 1 to 16.