Okay... I am not really THAT disconnected. ;-)
My 15 year old stepson likes those Nerf dart guns, so I asked him if his cousins liked them as well. BINGO. And earlier this year I made a 7 foot blowgun to squirrel hunt with. All the kids were captivated with that thing, but you know how parents are; they don't want the kids to have anything that could kill the family cat. *sigh* Parents these days...
Anyway, I had the idea. Nerf Dart Blowguns... You know... For kids. And since I am a fool for PVC pipe projects, that is what I would use. I made two 4 foot blowguns for my stepson and the oldest nephew, the rest were 2 foot blowguns that I made for the younger kids. My wife went to Walmart and bought $20 worth of darts and that was it. Let the Nerf wars progress!
On a side note, when I was scoping out the materials, I took my stepson to Home Depot with me. We were looking at the pipes to see what sizes we needed. I picked up a 2' section of 1/2" PVC pipe and said "Hey Devin, DON'T MOVE!" Then pelted him full force, point blank in the chest. He said something that sounded like "UNNGGGHHHHAAAAAHHH!" and grabbed his chest. That is how:
1- We decided on 1/2" pipe.
2- We learned how much these things can hurt at close range with full adult lung capacity.
3- People in Home Depot shoot you ugly stares when they hear your child scream out in pain...
He grabbed a pipe and pelted me, and we both proceeded to have a Nerf dart war that we got kicked out of Home Depot for. But there are 2 Home Depots in this town, so it's all good.
While building these blowguns for Christmas, I learned that our cat LOVES Nerf darts. He reacts to them in much the same way as catnip. He will bring you his dart and drop it in front of you and stare at you until you throw it. Then he will go get it and bring it back to you. He will do this ALL DAY LONG. So the blowgun that I am making in this instructable is to shoot our cat's darts with.
There are really 2 parts to this instructable, building the blowgun, then wrapping it with rope. The rope is really optional, I only do it to make the gun look pretty. You can decorate the thing any way you like. Actually, now that I think about it... All you really need is a 1/2" PVC pipe and some darts... But I digress... :-)
Step 1: Materials
• 1" x 1/2" Bushing (437-130) - This will connect the mouthpiece to the body of the blowgun.
• 1/2" PVC Pipe - Home Depot sells 2" sections of PVC pipe, or you can buy a long pipe and cut off however long a piece you would like to use.
• 3/4" x 1/2" Flush Bushing (437-101) - This will be the buisiness end of the blowgun.
• 3/16" x 75' nylon rope. I bought this at Walmart for a few dollars. They have 4 or 5 different colors.
• Something to drill/carve/melt a notch in the PVC Bushing. I used a drill.
• A saw. I use a small hacksaw.
• Some sort of glue. You can use PVC cement, but that will not be able to hold the rope. I use JB weld because I like it and I have a ton of it in my tool box.
Now that we have all of this together, lets get to building something.