1) First measure the size of shelf you'd like to make. I used a 4" x 4" piece of 1/2" plywood.
2) Cut out the square with a table saw. I used the Saw Stop Table Saw at the TechShop which works really good.
3)Then cut out the wood brackets or shelf holders. You can use whatever shape you like. I made up the shape
because it is decorative. I used 1/2" plywood and cut a semi circle using scroll saw or a band saw with a thin blade.
4) I sanded the surface with a belt sander
5) I also rounded the edges of the brackets with a disc sander and belt sander.
6) I simply Super Glued the brackets onto the 4x4 square.
The super glue holds just fine but you can screw them on if you prefer.
7) Finally, I screw the whole shelf assembly into the wall.
8) You can paint or seal it to your liking.
I made it at the TechShop. www.techshop.ws