In this tutorial, I hope to show you how to make an earring tree from plastic soda bottles. Its a quick, easy and cheap way to recycle some old plastic bottles!
Step 1: Supplies
What you will need:
1. Several empty plastic soda bottles with the "flower" type bottom.
2. At least one of your bottles's side should be completely smooth. Avoid bottles that have bumps or ridges as they will only get in the way. For this, I suggest using Nestea bottles.
3. A thumb tack
4. clear tape.
5. A strong pair of scissors
6. A serrated knife.
7. A dry erase marker or sharpy
Step 2: Preparing and cutting the bottles.
1. Wash your bottles.
2. Take off the labels.
3. Using your serrated knife, make a slit in the side of the bottle just above the "flower bottom"
4. Cut around the outside of the bottle for your new flower bottom.
5. Cut out a few of these.
6. Now that the bottle is open, dry it out with a paper towel.
7. Make sure you have at least one bottle still connected to it's bottom. Instead, cut off the top spout part.
8. Make sure your "smooth bottle"'s bottom has been cut off.
Step 3: Making the earring holes.
1.On your "smooth bottle" take your thumbtack and puncture a row of holes about a cm apart. Go around the whole of the bottle.
2. make as many rows as you like.
Step 4: Making the base
The bottle who's top was cut off will come into play now. It will be the base.
1. Feed the "smooth bottle" into the bottle that still has it's bottom.
2. Tape into place so that they don't move around.
Step 5: Making the base trays
1. Take two flower bottoms of approximately the same size and look at the size of one of the "petals"
2. Mark the size of said petals on opposite sides of the base.
3. Being very careful not to cut yourself, begin cutting an incision on the side of the base.
4. Use your scissors to cut a rectangle large enough for one petal to be inserted.
5. Stick the flower trays into place.
Step 6: All Done!
You're finished! Now you can put hoop and dangle earrings in the rows of holes you've made, and use the trays to hold stud earrings and other in-sundries!