One of the main reasons I set out on this adventure was because DragonCon made me peace bond my metal sword so I couldn't pose with it in pictures. I thought with a plastic looking wooden sword they wouldn't have any issues.
Step 1: Materials
2 sheets of 1/8 inch thick 6 inch square craft plywood.
1 10 inch long piece of 1 inch PVC pipe.
2 3.5 inch square end pieces of a 2x4.
1 10 inch square sheet of 1/8 inch clear acrylic.
Tennis racket grip tape.
Blue painters tape.
Spray paint primer.
Gold spray paint.
Translucent red (tail light) spray paint.
Blue spray paint.
Flat black spray paint.
Silver spray paint.
Spot glazing putty. http://goo.gl/LqScKA
Step 2: Cut Out the Blade
I already had a metal version of the sword from ReplicaDungeon so I laid the sword on top of the plank of pine and used a red sharpie to trace the outside of the blade.
I then used a jigsaw and scrollsaw to cut out the blade close to the line but not right one the line. Keep the trimmed off pieces to use to fill in the wings in the next step.
Then I used a belt sander held by a table vice as a table sander to sand the wood down to the line I traced to make it very accurate.
I had to use a sanding bit on a dremel (I know! A hackerspace has a LOT of tools!) to sand down the hard to reach places.
Step 3: Cut Out the Wings
Then I cut those out with the scroll saw. I then laid the new plywood wings on the blade where they go and sandwiched two pieces of the scrap pine plank. I then traced the edges of the wings on to the scrap pieces and cut those out so they will fill in the spaces where it was wider than the plank was. You can skip this step if your plank is wide enough for both wings.
I then used wood glue to glue all these pieces in place and held it together with small wood clamps and let the glue dry.
Step 4: Bevel the Blade Edges
Step 5: Make the Donut and Handle
I then used that cut out of the paper wings I printed to match the curve of the donut dome.
I made sure the dome stopped about 8 mm from the bottom edge to leave a level section all the way around for decorative triforce symbols.
I then used a 1 inch drill bit on our drill press (I know!) to drill a hole in the middle for the PVC pipe handle to fit through.
I had to trim down the part of the blade that fits in the inner diameter of the PVC pipe handle making sure it is a tight fit.
I then slid the donut on then slid the PVC pipe on. I then put gobs of wood glue all around both sides of the dount, in the donut hole, and down in the PVC pipe handle.
Step 6: Make Decorations
I then used a 1 inch woodboring drill bit on the drill press to put a 2 mm hole in the end of this handle piece so it could sit over the PVC pipe end and have a place for the glue to grab. I then stuck it on and wood glued it like crazy.
I then used a sanding drum on the dremel to sand out the notch at the top of the wing plywood pieces. I then held the dremel at a 45 degree angle so I could cut out "V" grooves in the wings to give the look of separation and a nice 3D effect.
I went ahead and sanded down the edges of the wing sandwich so they were rounder and smoother.
Step 7: Time for the Putty!
Step 8: Painting Is the Easy Part
I used Inkscape software to load up an image of the triforce logo on the blade and traced it with my mouse into vector art. I then loaded up the vector art in the laser cutter and cut it out of 1/8 clear acrylic. I then sanded down the spot on the fat part of the blade a bit so the super glue would have a spot to grab. I also sanded the back of the acrylic carefully so I didn't break it. Then I put a drop or two of super glue on the triforce piece and put it on the blade. I did the same for the other side of the blade.
I hit the blade and triforce with another coat of primer and let that dry. I then went ahead and painted the blade first. I gave it a nice coat of the more metallic silver paint so it would look more like metal.
I let that dry overnight. Then I used painters tape to cover up the blade in the little notch by tearing it into small pieces to fit in all the little spots. I then taped sheets of paper around the blade and middle of the handle so I could paint the wings and the handle end piece blue. After that dried I taped up everything but the handle grip and painted it flat black.
Every time I waited for the paint to dry I practiced wrapping the grip tape around my practice handle. That paid off in the next step.
Step 9: Finishing Touches and Decorations
I then did another image trace in Inkscape of the decorative jewel area of the sword and loaded that up in the laser cutter. I cut those out of the same acrylic as the triforce. To make the jewel I just cut out the diamond shape three times, reducing the size of the diamond by 10% each time. I put a tiny drop of super glue between each diamond and stacked it up. I made another set of "decorations" for the other side of the sword.
I found out the hard way that if you just put these tiny pieces on cardboard and try to spray paint them they will go flying! So I had to double over some painters tape to stick them to the cardboard so I could paint them gold. I did the same tape trick with the diamonds and painted them translucent red.
I then traced the decorations onto the wing area where they would go with an exacto knife into the paint. Then I used the knife to scratch up the paint to give the super glue a path down to the wood and glued the pieces on.
Once all these pieces were glued in place I was done! I was then able to pose with this sword at DragonCon without having to peace bond it.
Let me know if you are going to try to make this sword. It would be great to know I inspired someone else to make one. This was the first thing I've ever made from wood and the first prop I've ever attempted. I think it came out pretty good!