This tutorial only covers the making of the tracks, a tutorial for the whole tank might come sometime in the future.
Step 1: Materials
- Bike chains, two bike chain per tank track, you can buy only two and cut them in half with a chain breaker that's what I did.
Each chain was 3€ at the mall, no need for quality shimano or sram chains or anything, cheap ones will do.
- PVC tube, I used 12mm diameter but thicker is good, definitely NOT thinner, that was 1€ for 3meters(I really want to replace the PVC with Al soon)
- Screws and self tightening bolts(the ones with a bit of rubber inside) and screws, my chain fitted M3 screws nicely in the thickest links.
Quantities will depend on how big you want it, count your chain links.
- X-acto knife.
- strong scissors(optional, easier than the knife, but results aren't so good).
- dremel with 3mm drill bit.
Step 2: Get Buildin'!
Step 3: Drill
Do the same for the other screw.
Step 4: Keep Tightening... and Oh, You're Done!
Consider upgrading to metal instead of PVC.
Example on my current project: