Instructables
Picture of How to make fireplace starters
0004113700045_L4.jpg
Why pay upwards of $2.50 per fireplace starter in the store? I'll show you how to make your own in just a few simple steps, for next to nothing.
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1:

Picture of
You will need wax. I use these boxes of drippings from an old job making candles. You can use candle stubs, old crayons, etc.

Step 2:

Picture of
You will also need: newspaper or craft paper, lots of dryer lint ( paper towels, saw dust, shredded paper, etc can also be used, or a combination of all of it, as long as it burns), and a mold. I use an old mini loaf pan. You can also use a muffin tin or whatever else you have.

Step 3:

Picture of
IMG_1223.JPG
Step one is to melt your wax. I have a crock pot that is set aside for wax only. DO NOT use anything you will be putting food in later. You can never get all of the wax out. You can also use a double boiler.

Notice how dirty min is (including a couple dead flies). It totally doesn't matter for this. If you are using candle stubs, you can leave the wicks in the wax, same with crayon wrappers.

Step 4:

Picture of
Next put 2 layers of newspaper into your mold, and stuff it with lint. Stuff it good and tight. You will be amazed how much lint can be compressed into a single mold. The more lint you can stuff in it, the better.

Step 5:

Picture of
Saturate the lint with wax. after you have poured the wax onto all of them, start over. The lint soaks up a lot of wax so go over them again. It takes me about 2 1/2 cups of wax for four starters.

Step 6:

Picture of
Let them set up for about 15 minutes.

Step 7:

Picture of
After about 15 minutes, fold the newspaper over top. Don't worry if it doesn't stay down all the way.

Step 8:

Picture of
I do mine four at a time in an eight mold tin, I find it's easier to pour that way. As the ones you just did are setting up, you can stuff the next four.

Step 9:

Picture of
Repeat all the steps for the next four.
unclelar2 years ago
These things are great! The only problem is that if you have cats or dogs in the house then the lint smells like burning hair.Been there,done that got the tee shirt.Other than that it is a great idea.