Picture of Quilting Basics : Flying Geese

Flying geese are a widely used subunit in patchwork quilts.  Each flying goose consists of a goose triangle (across the width of the block) and two sky triangles (at each side of the block).  This instructable shows 3 methods of how to make flying goose blocks.

I don't know where the name comes from but I would think it is the way a skein of geese lines up as they fly across the sky .

Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Materials and tools

Picture of Materials and tools

2 or more contrasting fabrics, quilters usually use 100% cotton
a rotary cutter and plastic ruler - or marking pen and scissors
sewing thread
sewing machine
iron & ironing board
washable or air-erasing marking pen

Step 2: 3 easy methods

There are 3 widely used methods:

1) Using a rectangle and two squares to make a single goose

2) Traditional piecing where each triangle is cut before being sewn together

3) Speed piecing where the cutting is done after the sewing

Method 1 has left over (or waste) fabric, but you can make individual flying goose units

Methods 2 & 3 leave no left over fabric, but make up to 4 flying geese

Method 2 will yield 4 flying geese where the goose fabric is the same, but you could use different sky fabric for each unit

Method 3 yields 4 identical flying goose units - good if you want to make lots the same.

leatherleaf3 years ago
Don't quite understand are
Jayefuu4 years ago
Why are they called geese? What's a goose?
lizzyastro (author)  Jayefuu4 years ago
Like this:

If you don't know what a goose is I'll get Jess to demonstrate on you next time she is up here XD
I was just wondering about it in the quilting context, your intro step doesn't explain it and since this is aimed at beginners I thought it might help. That and I'd quite like to know :)
lizzyastro (author)  Jayefuu4 years ago
Intro now edited to include a link to a picture of a skein of geese in V formation
lizzyastro (author)  Jayefuu4 years ago
I don't actually know when the name came in to existence for this particular subunit. But it has been used traditionally for a long time. Many quilt blocks have names, some of which make more sense than others. In the future I aim to do some more instructables on other basic units and blocks that use those units.