Recently I decided I was not happy with the burgers I'd been making for years. They just weren't the same as what you'd get in a restaurant - always a little dry and very dense. I started to research what made a burger awesome and trying out every trick I found - this instructable is a compilation of all the tips that made a difference for me. :D
If you want to find out how to make a great burger at home, keep on reading! It's really not as complicated as you'd think.
I'd also love to hear how you cook your burgers - if you have any tricks, post them in the comments below!
Step 1: Things you'll need for a great burger
- good quality ground beef - preferably 80/20. It needs the fat to be tasty! Try to find local grass fed beef and buy it from a butcher if you can - the better your beef the better the burgers.
- salt & pepper
- tasty buns - I like to buy them from local companies so they're nice and fresh.
- bacon fat - this is my preferred fat to cook all burgers in! You can store bacon fat forever in the fridge, or you can just cook a few strips of bacon before you put the burgers on.
- whatever toppings you enjoy
That is really and truly all you need for a great burger. As long as you have good ingredients and follow this instructable you'll be a burger hero. :D
- a cast iron OR heavy nonstick skillet
- an instant read thermometer (optional, but really helps if you're new to cooking burgers!)