And it's super simple to make! So go on, impress people!
Step 1: Ingredients!
- 3 cups milk (any kind you like - whole tastes the best, but 2% is just fine!)
- 1-2 cups water (to determine the thickness. I normally use 1 cup.)
- 1 cup condensed, sweetened, milk. (I like using fat free.)
- 1/2 cup sugar (you might want to try 1/4 cup first if you don't want it TOO sweet)
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 cup rice (please use jasmine if you have it, it's the best as far as I'm concerned!)
- fresh fruit (mango is dreamy)
- dried fruits (especially apricots!)
- nuts (I really like cashews in this - that's how it's made at my favorite Indian restaurant!)
Step 2: Cooking the Rice!
Put this over medium heat.
This is really the hardest part of the whole recipe. You need to stay with the milk the entire time the rice is cooking - otherwise, you'll end up with burnt milk, which is one of the worst things you'll ever encounter whilst cooking!
Once you see small bubbles forming around the edge of the pot, you're halfway there! Once you start getting bubbles in the center of the pot, set your timer for 10 minutes!
Keep the milk bubbling but not boiling and stir every couple minutes - make sure to get the entire bottom on the pot, the sides, and corners! You might need to turn the heat lower to keep this going the way you need it to go. :D
After 10 minutes, check the rice. If it's soft - move along! If not, give it a few more minutes and try again!
Step 3: Add the Spice!
Stir this for a few minutes until everything is combined. You might need to get the whisk out at this time if the cardamom starts clumping together. :P
Let this simmer a few more minutes! If it's not thick enough for you, let it simmer a little longer, stirring frequently. :)
Step 4: Serve!
It's amazing both ways. :D
I'd say this is probably 6-8 servings, depending on size. Maybe less if you find yourself devouring most of it.
On this particular day, I put chunks of fresh mango in it along with cashews that I crumbled with my fingers. It was my dinner. Yum!