Using a coupon I bought a string of qty 20 led lights that runs off a battery pack (qty 3 AA batteries). It cycles through colors and patterns.
Tools and supplies needed:
1) string of battery powered LED lights
2) multimeter that can read voltage and current.
3) soldering iron with solder
4) some extra red and black wire
5) wire strippers/crimpers/wire cutters
6) shrink tube & heat gun
7) small connectors (male - female) type
8) resistors (you need to make a calculation to figure out what kind to use)
9) plastic wreath
Step 1: LED light string
Carefully disassemble the battery pack. If you can save the batter pack this will help you later when you figure out what size resistor to use. I then clipped off the battery pack (leaving the in line resistor already implemented).
Then wind the light into the plastic wreath.