This Instructable is an introduction to the basics of mold making for people interested in mold making with little to no knowledge on the subject.
It will walk you through some important vocabulary, break down the major mold types and help you select the correct mold for your project.
Here are some great mold making resources:
Step 1: Types of molds
There are a variety of mold types for different applications:
- Pour mold - Mold made by pour silicone over an original inside of a containing box
- 1-part pour mold (block mold) - a pour mold with only one side (simplest type of mold)
- 2-part pour mold - a pour mold with two or more halves and registration keys to align the parts
- Brush-on mold - a mold made by brushing on thin layers of silicone to build up a skin that is then encased in a rigid mother mold to give structure while casting
- Glove mold - A brush-on mold that does not require a parting line (sometimes uses a small slit)
- 2-part brush-on mold - A brush-on mold that is split into two or more parts
- Lifecasting - Mold made of a living human
Diagrams of the cross section of several mold types
Here is more information on Mold types.