The Atari Punk Console has a long history so you can check it here.
I can tell you it was designed by the most famous Forrest M. Mims III.
It is called the Atari Punk Console because of the stepped tone generated is like the sounds emitted by the original Atari video game system.
Step 1: Materials
- X2 555 Chip (You can also use a 556 Chip but for sake of simplicity I will use two 555)
- X1 1K resistor
- X1 .01 uF ceramic capacitor
- X1 .1 uF ceramic capacitor
- X1 10 uF electrolytic capacitor
- X1 Female stereo jack 6,3 mm
- X1 DC female jack
- X2 50K (or 500K but I will use 50K because it seems to me the correct stepped tone sound)
- X1 Switch (any really)
- X2 Knobs (optional)
- X1 Prototype board for soldering (I bought the smallest and cheapest)
- X1 Enclosure (optional, I used a plastic ipod touch one)
- X2 8 pin sockets (optional)
Other things you'll find around the house:
- Soldering iron
- Wire stripper