Step 1: Making the Spoon
Any metal spoon will work as long as you can flatten it with a hammer(see edit).
I used a cafeteria spoon that was a light metal then flattened itI used a hatchet sharpening file on the bottom point and top rounded part.
(Edit 1-06-2016): this piticular spoon is a stainless steel spoon that would not flatten under my rounded hammer thing, I had to use a bench vice to sort of round it and even then it wouldn't go completely flat. The spoon in the main picture is a different kind of spoon material. However the stainless spoon held an edge, while I was visiting my grandparents at their Wisconsin lake house I threw the spoon at trees and the driveway covered in thick ice and blocks of snow. The spoon went into the trees and stayed there, it chipped the ice and even stuck a few times, and cut the blocks of hardened snow clean in half (so satisfying). And all the while keeping an edge only go stainless if you have the tools to do so.
Step 2: Throwing the Spoon
1. Walk 10 normal paces away from said target
2. Turn to face target
3. with the bottom point of the spoon firmly grasped between the Base of your pointer finger and thumb if your dominant hand
4. Take a step forward with the opposite foot
5. In one fluid motion keeping your wrist as straight as possible (no flicking for you knife throwers out there) and like you are throwing a knife, throw really hard but controlled
6. Let go so that the spoon is pointing straight at the target
7. You will miss
8. Remember to keep the straight arm and adjust your angle